Chapter 47

“Guys?” I called as sweat dripped from every inch of my body. “What is going on?”

I heard shouting around me, but it wasn’t from either Alex or Aliah. I noticed that a very particular voice was screaming too. Drew.

Was something wrong with Mason? Did Elma stop?

I tried breathing a bit as I listened to what he was saying.

“What the hell is happening?” my mate screamed, and I would’ve liked to know too.

“Mason, let go.” This was Elma’s voice for sure, telling Mason to let go of me. Did trying to go back cause something terrible?

I was scared. Terrified, actually at the thought of Mason letting go. If he does, I won’t be able to find my way back, and if I do, it’ll take days!

“What do you mean he should let go? Do you want him to leave her there!” Drew demanded, and all I wanted to do was calm him down. The last thing I wanted him to do was to kill someone on my behalf when it seemed like it was my fault why this was happening. I had no idea what I had done wrong, but everything was fine until I tried to go back.

“If he doesn’t, then she’ll kill him.” That was it.

I knew I had to let go of Mason. The thought of him dying by my fault killed me inside.

Not sweet Mason. Not another one.

I tried to focus. I closed my eyes and tried to find whatever rope or chain he had been holding to stay connected to me. But to my demise, there was none. I could hear Aliah and Alex shouting at me, I could hear Drew shouting at Elma, I could hear Max shouting at Mason. It was all too much.

I began hyperventilating, and soon, crimson liquid trickled from my nose. I curled up into a ball in the grass, and my siblings joined me on either side, throwing instructions at me, ranging from calming down to breathing. But I couldn’t do anything. I could feel Mason’s life dwindling away, and I could feel him trying to let go, but for some reason, he couldn’t.

I’m going to kill him, just like Lorenzo.

But then, it suddenly stopped.

What sounded like a plate breaking filled my senses, and my entire world stopped spinning. My temperature dropped to where it was before, and the throb in my head stopped. But most of all, I felt disconnected from the earth. I could still hear and feel, but my anchor was gone.

At first, I was scared. I thought Mason had died. But then I heard Max coaxing him back to consciousness, and sudden relief flooded me. Still, that only solved one problem. I still had one more to go—getting out of here.

I opened my eyes slowly, seeing Alex and Aliah regarding me in worry. When they saw that I was fine, they relaxed a bit, but they shared my concern. Getting out.

“Are you okay?” Alex asked as he wiped the sweat from my face. I couldn’t speak, so I nodded. “Is your anchor gone?”

I nodded again.

Silence fell among us as we thought of another way out. But then, I heard Drew’s voice again, this time calm and collected, almost sad as he whispered in my ear.

“Hey, baby,” he whispered, and my eyes pooled at the hurt in his tone. “I know you can hear me; I know you can feel me.” I didn’t know how it was possible, but even with this body in this realm, I could feel every caress of his gentle touch against my skin.

Purring like a kitten, I closed my eyes as I listened and felt him. My own tears finally fell when I felt his dropping against my forehead. I have never seen Drew cry before. I hated that he did. This shouldn’t have happened to us.

“Listen to my voice and come back to me, Amber,” he added softly. “Come back to me. Please.”

And so I tried. I held onto him with all my might. I reached for him in my mind, I held onto his words, and I filled my thoughts with him and only him. Yet, I couldn’t go back.

He continued pulling me, and I held tightly to him, but there was still something keeping me here. I couldn’t leave.

“She needs a push,” I heard Aliah whisper. “Alex, we have to….”
I tried to stay focused on Drew’s words as I listened to her. For some reason, the way she said it sounded almost sad.

“I know,” he replied. “I wanted to help her, though.”

“We are helping her,” Aliah mumbled with pain lacing each syllable. “If she stays here, it’s only a matter of time before Dageian wakes up and finds us. If we search for another way out, it could take days that we don’t have. This is the only way.”

“What—what are you guys talking about?” I asked, keeping my eyes closed to retain my connection with Drew. There was silence for a while before Alex finally spoke.

“To push you back, we have to use our life force.”

I thought I understood what he meant, yet it was so unclear.

Lifeforce? As in giving their lives for mine?

“No,” I protested. “I won’t let you do it.”

“We have to,” he said. “It’s the only way to save you. Aliah is right. If we try to find another way out, it may take days. Dageian can find you in hours.”

I knew that they were right. But I couldn’t accept it. “I just got you back,” I whispered as another sob broke from my lips. “I can’t lose you again.”

“You won’t lose us.” Aliah pulled me to her embrace, and soon after, Alex joined. “We’ll always be with you.”

“That’s so corny,” I mumbled through my sobs, and Aliah chuckled a little as her own streams began to flow.

“I know, but it’s true. No matter where you are, we’ll never be too far.”

I pulled them closer and buried my face in Aliah’s chest. “How could you be so sure?”

“Because I am sure,” she said, and Alex nodded. “Always.”

“I love you guys so much.” My sobs grew heavier as I felt them slipping away. I didn’t want to let go, but they were already pushing me through.

Soon, they were no longer holding me, and I wouldn’t dare to open my eyes. Drew’s voice grew louder, and I could feel myself gaining control over my limbs again. I kept crying as he pulled me back and as the final sliver of life in my siblings’ life faded away, as the conscious world became my home once again.

I gasped as I came back to life, and staring down at me, was Drew.

.

.

.
Whoo! That was close!