Chapter 49

Drew and I stood on the balcony as we watched the moon dance in the clear sky.

Surprisingly, dinner was good—better than I suspected. My mother was decent, and Drew was great with her. On the other hand, my dad asked Drew questions from the 20th century randomly and brought up things that only people who were alive in those times would know.

I used our mindlink to tell him to be careful about how he answered his question. We both knew that my dad already knew that Drew was a vampire, but we didn’t want to push it too much. I made a mental note to talk with my father later, just to see how much he actually knows. When he wasn’t losing his mind, he was actually a brilliant, conniving man who knew how to get his way, not only because he was a royal. Still, I was only grateful that he didn’t seem to disapprove of the entire situation.

I held onto Drew’s arm and rested my head against his shoulder as we stood in silence. We haven’t really talked much about what happened yesterday. Perhaps we didn’t need to. Dageian almost killed us both, but we were alive, and that’s all that mattered.

“So, what do you think about your dad knowing about us?” he asked out of nowhere. I inclined my head to look at him, then eventually shrugged as I rested my head on his shoulder again.

“I don’t know. Weirdly, I’m not even surprised. He was the one who gave me that book, The Truth, I believe it was called?”

“I remember.”

“Then when I asked him about our blood, he spoke of the legends so clearly, but still told me that it was all made up. I think he has always known about vampires, and seeing the mark on my hand made him know that you were one.”

Drew stiffened as I said this, and he swung around to face me with wide eyes. “He saw your hand?” he asked, cursing under his breath.

“Yes, but it’s okay, Drew.” I tried to calm him down as I gripped his shoulder. I didn’t understand why it got him so worked up.
“It’s not, Amber. I wasn’t even supposed to….”

“Are you serious?” I asked, my own frustration growing at his behaviour. “So, would you rather if I had let you die then? Is that it?”

He sighed and reached for me after I stepped away from his hold, but I flinched away.

“I understand that you don’t want to hurt me, and feeding from me was a hard promise to break for you. But you were dying, Drew. What would you have me do when my human blood could’ve helped you? I see how prepared you are to leave me!”

I knew that wasn’t true, but I was too hurt to control my snappy tongue. With that, I spun on my heels and marched for my bedroom door, but I paused abruptly when a shadow appeared before me.

The hairs on the back of my neck rose as I stumbled back, but the figure moved at the speed of light and grabbed me before my foot could even reach the ground. I squeezed my eyes shut. I wasn’t prepared. Not right here. Not right now.

“Let her go,” I heard Drew growl from behind us. I still kept my eyes closed. I wasn’t scared of him, but I hated that he took us by such surprise. We knew that once he was awake, he’d come after us. But I had hoped that we would’ve been ready.

Dageian clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth as he moved further onto the balcony. I finally opened my eyes, being met face-to-face with the devil himself. He smiled down at me before reaching up to brush his thumb against my cheek.

I heard Drew’s feet approaching us, but I quickly told him to stop in our mindlink. Perhaps Dageian wouldn’t kill me, but Drew? He already showed us both that he was prepared to. Thankfully, he heeded my plea and kept a generous distance. I could feel his turmoil. He was thinking of ways to get me and escape. But we’ve had enough encounters with Dageian now—far too much. This needed to end now. I, for one, was sick of it.