Chapter 29

"So let's go over the plan one last time," I said as Lorenzo strapped on his gas mask. 

"I know, I got it," he said sternly. I knew he didn't like going against the others like this, but we had no choice. Drew didn't give us a chance, and seeing that we don't know if the others will tell him or not, it's just the two of us. 

This is what is best for our home. No rogue vampires means no threat except Dageian. Maybe then and only then, we can focus more on taking him down.  

The only reason why Lorenzo was even helping me, was because he knew this was best too. 

I had a decent morning with Veronica yesterday. I actually felt like a normal person being with her like that. But now, seeing that reality had struck again, as soon as we were back from breakfast, I contacted Lorenzo, told him how my talk with Drew went, and decided to proceed with our plans. With only about 30 hours of planning, we had what could be a solid plan. 

"What are the odds that this plan will work? What if they don't take the bait?" Lorenzo asked after a while. I knew he had this question budding in his head for a while now, seeing that the plan was so last minute. 

But I was sure of myself. 

"They'll take it. Just stick to the plan, okay? The others will come around when they see that we did the right thing." 

I gave him an encouraging pat on the back. As far as pep talk goes, that's the best I could do. 

Luckily for me, Lorenzo isn't so much of a softie like the twins are. If it were the twins, I knew they would break by now. 

"All set?" I asked as I shoved an extra dagger in my boot. 

"All set."  

"Good. Let's go."

With the total of vampires in the warehouse being four hundred and thirty-nine, we knew we didn't have much more of them to gather up. 

In fact, given a rough estimate, we only had sixty more to catch. If any others are left by the time we're through, it will only be a few, and if they ate smart after hearing what happened, they'll leave Consok forever and never look back. 

This one thing just has to work, then the only problem we'll have is Dageian and getting our friends to understand why. 

Friends? 

Are they my friends? 

It feels weird considering the vampires as my friends, but I had to admit that during the time we've worked together, I have taken a liking to the bunch. Oddly even Alisha. 

Shaking the thought from my head, I hopped on my bike and threw the helmet over my head. 

Lorenzo appeared beside me and threw me a side glance. "Meet you there in about five?" 

"You bet." I revved my bike to life as I got ready to leave. "And remember if the others call- "

"I know. You and I are scouting the north coast tonight." 

I nodded. "Right."

Drew was a bit skeptical about this new arrangement, seeing that he was my partner, and Lorenzo was Alisha's. But it wouldn't have been too suspicious seeing that we were all a team. A few changes wouldn't be bad. 

However,  I knew that my mate knew something was off, and so we had to move fast. The mere fact that I not only blocked him from my mind, but switched him with Lorenzo too would surely make him suspicious. 

And so I sped through the night to our desired location. 

I kept a keen eye for any red eyes in the corner watching me, but luckily I was alone. I was able to arrive at my destination undetected and unseen, and Lorenzo was already there waiting when I arrived. 

"What are we looking at?" I asked immediately as I hopped from my bike and swung the helmet from my head. 

His smirk told me all I needed to know. "You were right. They did take the bait. Every last one of them." 

He pushed the door open slightly for me to see, and indeed, the room was populated with about fifty vampires. 

"I knew their loyalty to Dageian would've done the trick. They blindly came," I added with a smirk of my own as I got my gas ready. 

It literally took all day to do this right, but eventually after so many YouTube videos and crash courses in chemistry, I figured it out. 

I made gas out of my supply of chives, since I knew I wouldn't have been able to shoot them all. Seeing that the plan was going so well so far, I just hoped this would work. 

The plan, as Lorenzo and I put it, was to lure the remaining vampires to a sealed room where they would be 'meeting' Dageian. 

At first our biggest doubt was to have it believable, while having the word spread without anyone from our team figuring it out. So, we had one of the hostages in the warehouse send the message. 

Of course, he wasn't compliant. But Lorenzo made him compliant. 

Luckily, the word spread like wildfire, and the loyal sired vampires fell right in our trap. They thought they were attending a meeting with their dear Dageian who left them here, when instead, they're dead. 

"You're up." Lorenzo gestured to the slightly opened door, ensuring to keep his distance so that the chives didn't affect him too, despite the fact that he had on his mask. 

With a stern nod, I grabbed my two cans, popped the tap from them and rolled them inside the tiny closed room. 

This old preschool had been shut down for years—longer than I was even born. It seemed like the perfect place to do this. It wasn't near any of the towns either. After we get these vampires, we'll get the others. 

Coughs and pounding on the walls soon came after. I knew none of them would be strong enough to break down the wall. I ensured I increased the dosage on chives in my fluid when I was making the gas. 

Soon after, the coughs became less and the pounding stopped, and I knew it was time for phase two. 

"Lighter?" I asked with an outstretched arm, and Lorenzo happily placed it in my hand. I lit a tiny flame before throwing it through a creak in the door. 

The room was immediately engulfed in flames, and I had to flinch away when a hint of it flashed through the door. 

I sealed it completely and turned on my heels, hearing the wailing of men and women as they burnt to death. 

I didn't only put chives in that fluid, but I made it highly flammable too. There was no way they stood a chance. 

As I climbed on my bike, hearing the cackling of the fire as it tried to burn through the walls, I turned to Lorenzo to ensure that he was still with me.

Luckily, he didn't seem regretful, guilty or pitiful. He knew that this had to be done. 

We still had a long way to go in order to get to the warehouse about an hour and a half drive from here, and then our mission will be complete. 

Hopefully after this, Dageian won't try to send more, because he'll know who he's dealing with. 

I am Amber Rousseaux, and I fear no vampire.

That was the very thought I kept in my mind as I sped off to my new destination, getting ready to set my second house of vampires on fire.