Chapter Twenty Three

A hiss came from Lucius as he kicked Draco to his knees "pathetic excuse for a son. Clean it up! Make sure the mudblood is chained tightly." With the slam of the door Lucius was gone. His footsteps became fainted and soon were no more.

Before she could even respond Draco slammed into her crushing her in his arms "Hermione?! What the bloody hell are you doing here?" His voice was shaky and scared. Feeling his arms around, the witch relaxed and allowed herself to curl up "Draco." Her once sweet voice cracked. A tear fell down her cheek. Not from sadness, but from joy of seeing Draco again.

"My father told me...he told me it was...a traitor of the dark lord down here...If I knew it was you...Hermione I'm so sorry..." Draco was falling apart before her eyes and it broke her heart. "I promise I will get you out of here....I-I promise." His body shook as he clutched his lover tightly.

Her rusty chains rattled as her cold hands came up to cup the slytherins face. "I know you will. I believe in you Draco." Just being in his arms made her voice stronger.

Leaning into her hands his silver eyes closed as he savors her touch. "I'll get you out of here as soon as possible. I can't put you in anymore danger." Draco would take her and leave now but the Dark lord was expected soon and he would surely kill her on sight. Her head nodded in his chest. Producing his wand he conjured a blanket, food and water.

"I'll unchain you but you must put them back on when you hear your door being unlocked. Hermione you must." His voice was serious and quiet. Nodding again, Draco conjured the key and carefully unlocked her wrists. The metal chains fell to the ground in a heavy clank.

Encircling her wrists, were dark bruises, the marks of her chains. A wave of guilt washed over Draco as he saw the injuries. Gently taking her hands, his lips came down and tenderly kissed the marks. Hermione's dry lips curled into a soft smile.

Flicking his wand once more a bed appeared. Not big, but enough for Hermione to sleep on. Tightening his arms around the thin Gryffindor, Draco lifted her and carried her to the bed. Hermione was set down gently on the small bed as Draco laid the blanket over her.

"The door will lock behind me and there will be guards at the top of the stairs. I'll be back in morning. I promise no harm will come to you." His silver eyes were filled with sorrow and pain as he pressed his soft full lips to her smooth forehead. "I love you." Were his final words before he forced himself out of the cell with a heavy heart.