Chapter Thirty Two

Hermione believed she was seeing a ghost. A ghost of the man she loved. Standing at the end of the crowded crowd stood Draco. He looked badly beaten but not from the battle. Even in the state his body was in, Draco strode to the front of the crowd with grace. Hermione brought her face up to see him. Tears were in her chocolate brown eyes.

The dark lord looked utterly shocked as did Lucius and Bellatrix, but not his mother. She looked relieved to see her son standing in front of the crowd. In her eyes was something else. Was it love? Draco didn't have time to dwell on it because potter had pushed out of Hagrids arms and fell to the ground. All eyes turned to the boy who lived while he made his way to stand beside Draco with his wand out.

Draco and Harry standing side by side gained gasps from both sides. They weren't friends but they now had an understanding. Draco loved Hermione and he would be in her life as would Potter. The dark lord was speechless for a moment but he finally regained his bearings. "Young Mr. Malfoy, look at yourself. Look what's been done to you because you have chosen that side." He pointed to Hogwarts and the students gasped. Draco Malfoy on their side?

"Join your mother and father. Join your family." Voldemort hissed, his wand still raised. Harrys wand didn't budge. Draco inclined his head and looked over the crowd of students and professors. His eyes softened as they landed on his Gryffindor princess. She looked at him in utter raw emotion. Shock, confusion, happiness, sadness and more importantly, love. Pure love for the man standing before her.

Turning his head back, his famous Malfoy smirk was upon his lips. "I don't have a family with you. Like my father said between his Cruciatus curses, I am no son of his. Besides, this is my family." He glanced back at the students of Hogwarts. Hearing the words come from his mouth Hermione's heart ached. 'Oh Draco what had been done to you?', she thought from her knees still.

His fathers face twisted in rage. The Dark lord only smiled "you will die like all the rest." He raised the elder wand and all hell broke loose. The fighting before was nothing compared to this. This was war and Draco and Hermione were in the middle of it.