𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

𝐑𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧

♥ ♥ ♥

I felt the cool breeze brush against my face. I could feel the tightness in my chest begin to go away slowly. I pulled the door shut as I sat on the bottom step of the concrete stairs. I let out a deep breath as I tried to slow down my heart rate. I could hear the sound of my heart racing. It felt like an echoing sound that wouldn't go away.

Everything is alright.

I closed my eyes for a minute, allowing my body to relax. My breaths became regulated. The back door creaked open. I turned around to see her. I never caught her name while we talked for over an hour at the bar. She's beautiful. Everything about her is captivating. She has long blonde hair that falls past her shoulders. Her dress is a deep dark red that loosely falls past her knees. Her smile is contagious. She has light grey eyes that reflect the moonlight.

She leaned on the railing. And she asked, "Is everything alright?" I nodded my head. I answered, "I'm fine. Did my sister send you out here?" She nodded as she responded, "Yeah. She wanted me to check on you since you left so abruptly." She strolled towards me and then sat next to me. Our bodies were inches apart. Her eyes were filled with innocence. Her heart seemed filled with love. We've only known each other for two hours, but in those two hours, I felt human. Outside of this bar, everyone around me holds high standards for who I am. I fear that I'll become the same monster that raised me.

My father is a cruel man. His blood runs through my veins. The fear of becoming him leaves an ache in my chest each time I think about being his heir. After watching how I was raised, I've decided I don't want children. I've discussed this with my girlfriend Nora, but she never took it well. She tells me I'll change my mind, but it's been two years, and I still haven't changed. I don't think I ever will. I don't deserve children.

I glanced at her eyes. I reassured her, "I needed some fresh air. I get anxious when I'm around large crowds." She turned towards me. She blurted out, "Well, I can say it's more peaceful out here. I'd sit outside with my brother, watching the stars when I was younger. The sky is a work of art that I'll never comprehend." I leaned back against the cement stairs. I confessed, "My mom tells me that the stars that shine the brightest are loved ones who have passed away. Now I stare up there and see her. Ever since she died, I began to appreciate the outdoors and the sky more."

"Do you tell every stranger you meet at the bar your life story?"

"Depends on the night. Either way, we'll forget this in the morning."

She giggled, "True."

Her voice.

Her soft tone. I felt calm in her presence.

I told her, "Usually, I don't start up a conversation about my dead mom." She admitted, "Well, like you said, we won't remember this in the morning."

She stood up, reaching her hand out in front of me. She exclaimed, "I'm sorry about your mom." I took her hand as she pulled me gently onto my feet. I replied, "It's alright. It was five years ago." She flashed a smile at me before she began walking towards the door. I called out, "I never caught your name." She held her hand on the doorknob as she turned around.

She had her eyes glued on me. She confessed, "My name's Blaire Allaire. It was nice to meet you, Roman." She opened the door. Then she was gone.

♥ ♥ ♥

Astraea and I go to a local coffee shop less than five minutes from our house every morning. The owner of the coffee shop is our Zia Kyrie. When Astraea and I were fourteen, she hired us to wait on tables for a few years.