𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞

♥ ♥ ♥

𝐑𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧

I sat next to Rea in her booth at the drive-in. She leaned back against the chair. She blurted out, "You're blind, Roman." I chuckled, "What's that supposed to mean?"

She said, "I didn't say to stop loving her. I want you to know your worth. She's manipulating you. It's an unhealthy relationship that is negatively affecting you. You're my brother, and I want what's best for you. Nora is far from being good enough for you."

"When Nora and I began dating, she was amazing. She respected boundaries and communicated frequently. Now I'm hoping that girl will return even though she might be gone forever." She glanced her eyes at me. I could easily see through Rea's facial expressions. I knew when she was angry, sad, scared, or bluntly judging me. She's worried for me. She always will be, no matter where we are in our lives. Astraea responded, "You gave Nora another chance even though she's treated you like shit." I sighed, "You can't stop loving someone that quickly, Rea."

Rea leaned her head on my shoulder. She muttered under her breath, "She doesn't want help. She's dragging you down with her, and it's not fair to you." Astraea's right.

I've given Nora multiple resources to help her. She doesn't want help. She got worse until she reflected her pain onto me. Her pain became my pain. She pulled me under until we were both drowning.

Rea combed her fingers through my hair. She exclaimed, "You need to put yourself first, Roman. Find your happiness." I chuckled, "It's easier said than done. I've been with Nora for years. Letting all of that go isn't easy."

She released a deep breath before responding, "Are those years worth remembering? She abused you mentally and physically."

Are those years worth remembering?

No.

|Flashback |

September 14th, 1996

Today marks one year of being with Nora Marcello.

She's been my best friend since we were four. She stole my heart when we were fifteen. Tonight, I planned a special dinner for the two of us. She's my first love. Her existence has already molded into my heart. Her compassion and affection drew me toward her.

Recently, she's gotten into harmful drinking habits, but she's been receiving help at a rehab center. Her drinking has caused negative outbursts. She's become someone I don't recognize anymore. She's not the girl I asked to be my girlfriend a year ago today. I hope each day that she'll return.

I stood in front of the mirror, adjusting the tie on my suit.

The door creaked open. I shifted my glance to the door, and I saw Nora standing there. She had a short golden dress. The sleeves were hanging over her shoulders. She looked captivating as usual. Her hair fell perfectly over her shoulder. Her smile ignited a spark in my heart. She leaned against the door frame. She whispered, "Are you ready?"

I leaned against the sink with my eyes glued to her. I answered, "Yeah. I'll be out in a couple of minutes." She smiled before slowly exiting the bathroom. I let out a deep breath. I turned on the sink and filled my hands with water. I splashed my face with cool water. I stared at my reflection in the mirror. I felt a brush of relief leave my shoulders. I repeated my thoughts to reassure myself everything will be alright.

If she loved me, she wouldn't hurt me.