𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

♥ ♥ ♥

TW: Mention of abuse and suicidal thoughts
𝐑𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧

Five days ago, I drove my sister to a small private airport. She flew to Milan with her best friend, Greyson Allori. He and Rea have been friends since they were eleven. He makes her feel comfortable being herself. He plays the guitar, and after high school, he aspires to become a musical artist. It fills my heart knowing someone makes her smile. After the pain she endured growing up with our father. She deserves peace. Our father neglected her. He was ashamed of cheating on his wife. He treated his daughter like a burden he couldn't escape. Astraea's mother is an incredible designer from Egypt who moved to New York to further her career. She wasn't financially stable enough to raise a kid, so my mom took Rea in even when my father disagreed. Before my mom passed away, she cared for Rea when nobody else would. Her death destroyed Astraea and me.

Watching my little sister live her best life with someone who truly loves and adores her makes me feel accomplished. Greyson Allori would write and play songs when she was upset. He lifted her off this world. He gave her a sense of comfort. Over these years, I've learned that my younger sister is in exceptional hands. She has someone who will carry her when she falls.

While Rea and Greyson were in Milan, I received an unusual invitation from Devon Night. Devon and I were mere enemies. We hated each other with every bone in our bodies. I wanted to bury him, and he wanted to bury me. In two days, Devon Night will be hosting a celebration for his wife Vera's birthday. Last night, I had my close friend and partner Antonio Romano send the guest list to me. He had insights on the Night family and access to their files. This morning, I reviewed the guest list after eating breakfast. I wasn't surprised to see Blaire's name. I haven't seen her since the night I broke up with Nora at the drive-in. A part of me feared her. She was hired to kill me. But another part of me felt a sense of comfort in being around her. Her soothing voice. The way her grey eyes light up under the moonlight. Maybe it was her way of manipulating me.

Ever since the night at the drive-in after I broke up with Nora, I felt a weight lifted from my life. Nora made me hate every aspect of myself that she disliked. She'd point out flaws. Nora commented on every aspect of my appearance. She changed me. I wanted to be the ideal person she pictured in her head. I wanted to be loved. I craved her love, even if it hurt. I desired to feel wanted by someone. Nora and I wanted two different things.

I want to start fresh. I want a new beginning.

Sicily, Italy, is my home, and I desire to create a life for myself here where the pains of my past will no longer tear me down. I want peace.

I stood in front of a record store Astraea and Greyson visited frequently. I saw Blaire's grey eyes peering through the different vinyl records. I could see her smile glow across her face as she went through each vinyl. I pulled open the glass door and entered the store. I pulled out a wrinkled piece of paper with a list of the different records Astraea wanted. She's been a music lover since we were kids. We'd walk to the local record store to buy vinyl albums or cassette tapes. She adores any form of music. She's the type of girl who would listen to all love songs. She'd create a new world while listening to music.

Greyson Allori writes songs about Astraea. She's his muse. I walked past Blaire and went through the different vinyl albums in the back of the store. Blaire turned towards me and leaned against the table. She asked, "What's a mafia don doing at a record store?" I chuckled and answered, "My sister gave me a list of vinyl records she wants. I haven't been here in ages. "

She smiles. Blaire confesses, "Well, if you need help finding anything, just ask."

I wondered, "You've been here before?" She shrugged and answered, "I grew up in Sicily. I haven't been here in ages, though."

Blaire picked up three vinyl albums from the table and approached me. She looked over my shoulder at the list of albums Astraea wrote. She chuckled, "Your sister has good taste in music." I nodded my head. Blaire asked, "Would you like some help finding these?"

"I would. I haven't been here since I was a kid."

She giggled and took the piece of paper from my hand. Blaire reassured me, "Me neither, and I know this place from the back of my hand." I chuckled as she walked around the store, picking up different vinyl albums. I folded my arms, "You should quit working for Devon and work here."

Blaire shot her eyes at me. She responded, "I would, but I enjoy my job." I leaned against the table and confessed, "I give you credit for working for Devon. He a bit of an ass, and that's being generous."

She walked toward me and gave me the vinyl albums from the list. Blaire told me, "I'm aware. I deal with him every day. He isn't that bad. He doesn't like you, that's all." I chuckled, "Devon Night hasn't liked me for years. It's more family-related than anything."

Blaire took a deep breath and leaned against the table next to me. Our bodies were inches apart. I could hear her breath as she inhaled and exhaled. Her eyes trailed to the tattoo on my shoulder. She asked, "What does the number represent?" I paused before answering, "The numbers represent the day I almost died. It's the only tattoo I have that has a meaning."

October 20th, 1996.

|Flashback|

I felt my heart race inside my chest. I stood in the dining room, putting my coat on the hanger. Nora broke my soul tonight. She accused me of having an affair because I was late for our date. Nora hit me. Her hands gripped my shoulders as she shoved me onto the ground. I felt my pulse racing. She had tears rushing down her face, but they weren't real. Over the year, she's learned how to turn her actions on me. She blames me for her outburst. I've learned to accept it. I've learned to shut out her voice because it's the alcohol talking and not her.

After she left, I felt my lungs closing. I stood up, gripping the dining room table. I slowly made my way into the bedroom. I had painkillers I used to take whenever I had nasty migraines. I sat on the edge of the bed, staring at the pill bottle and the bruises on my leg, chest, and arms. I wanted to forget all of this. I desired for this pain to end. I was ready to pour the whole bottle into my hand and overdose. I already felt dead inside. I glanced down at the painkillers in my hand. I could stop the pain. I could escape the abuse that had broken my soul.

I heard my phone ring in my back pocket. I pulled it out, seeing Astraea's number. I answered the phone, holding back the tears in my eyes.

I heard her soft voice exclaim, "Roman?" She paused before muttering, "Is everything okay? Roman?" I swallowed my pain.

"I'm fine." I paused before tears flowed down my face, "I need you."

"Are you okay?"

I responded, "No. I was about to overdose because I don't want to live with the pain Nora put me through." Silence filled the room. Rea replied with her voice slightly breaking, "Holy shit. Roman. I'll talk to my boss. Just tell me where you are, and I'll be there." I told her the address and forced myself to stand up. I walked into the bathroom as the pain traveled up my leg. It felt like needles were being shoved into my skin repeatedly. Astraea stayed on the phone until she arrived. She brought ice, bandages, and water. She sat next to me on the bathroom floor. She placed multiple ice packs on each area that bruised the worst. Rea wrapped the bandage around my bruised wrist to reduce the pain.

She had tears forming in her eyes. Astraea whispered, "If she ever touched you again, you call me. You shouldn't have to feel this type of pain. I'll bring you to the hospital. Just remember. Roman, I'll always be here for you. We stick together. I'm your sister, and you've taken care of me, and now it's my turn."

Astraea wrapped bandages over the ice packs to hold them together. She wrapped her arm around me and brought me out to her car. She saved me. I wouldn't have survived without her. I would've taken those pills without a second thought if she didn't call me. I couldn't imagine the pain she'd go through if I left her.

|Present|

Blaire's grey eyes stared into mine. She wrapped her arms around me and whispered, "I'm glad you're alive." I held back the tears forming under my eyes. I told her, "I am too."

♥ ♥ ♥