𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

♥ ♥ ♥

𝐑𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧

I felt alive last night.

Once Blaire and I began dancing, everything went silent. The world stopped just for that moment. Everything felt real. The soft sound of the wind brushed against our faces. This feeling of her lips pressed against mine. I felt the sincerity in her embrace.

Today I'm meeting her at her house. Blaire gave me an offer I couldn't deny.

Horror movies and milkshakes.

Even though horror movies send chills down my spine and make me jump every five minutes, I watch them for her. I fell in love with her smile the day my lips touched hers for the first time.

I knew Blaire was here to kill me, but I wanted to give her a second chance because when I looked into her eyes, I saw a girl healing and picking herself up. I tend to offer people in my life second chances even when I don't know the outcome. I want to believe those beautiful grey moonlit eyes are more than an assassin. Once I heard her truth, I knew she was in pain.

Astraea walked behind me and asked, "How was your date with Blaire?" I chuckled, turning towards her, "It wasn't a date, but it was fun."

Rea's eyes shot open, and she exclaimed, "You like her a lot." I shook my head, and Astraea exclaimed, "You're blushing, Roman."

"I'm not."

"Yes, you are. It's adorable that you have a crush, but take things slow. Blaire is still an assassin whose job was to kill you six months ago."

I folded my arms and responded, "I agree. I'm taking things slow and letting fate decide our destiny." Rea smiled and told me, "Good. Now go have fun and be home before midnight." I chuckled and left. The hotel is less than ten minutes from Blaire's house. I put the song I played last night into the cassette player. I relived that night over and over in my mind.

Time went by quickly as I pulled in front of Blaire's house. She was sitting outside with a cigarette in her hand. I took the key out of the ignition and exited the car. I called out, "When did you start smoking?" She stood up and chuckled, "Since I was thirteen, I think. It's all a blur." She puts out the cigarette and throws it away.

Blaire wrapped her arms around me. She whispered, "I'm glad you came." I took a deep breath and replied, "Me too."

She released her arms from around me. Blaire sighed, "Can I talk to you about something? I need to get a lot off my chest." I agreed, "Yes, of course." I followed her inside the house and sat on the sofa. I fell back into the soft embrace of the couch. Blaire stood in the kitchen and grabbed a tray off the island counter. She sat beside me and placed the tray on the small glass table. Blush flushed across her cheeks. I picked up the hot chocolate and asked, "What's bothering you, amore."

Blaire took a deep breath and answered, "I lied to you." I kept my eyes glued to her. I waited for her to continue, but she didn't. She was silent. Everything became quiet.

I folded my arms. I wondered, "What did you lie to me about, Blaire?" She sighed and stood up. She pulled the gun attached to the holster on her thigh. I stood up, and she pointed the gun inches from my head. I admitted, "I've had a gun to my head before. I'm not afraid of dying, but this won't bring back your family."

Tears filled her eyes. Her palms were sweaty. Blaire's breathing became rapid. I placed my hand on top of the gun and slowly lowered it. I felt betrayed and lied to, but it's partially my fault for trusting an assassin. She has the motive and drive to pull this trigger but won't. Her finger was lightly on the trigger. She blurted out, "I made a deal. You know better than I do that if I don't pull this trigger, then Devon will kill me. When you work with mafia men, you learn that in the end, someone dies."