Chapter 16: Filling the Gaps

Chapter 15 Filling the Gaps

Nicci P.O.V.

As Nat and I were walking to the MTF, smiles were plastered on our faces. We've finally found David and remembered us after...an eventful month. I was holding a clean batch of clothes in my arms and Nat held a little present for David. As we entered, we were greeted by Vestal and showed us where David was currently being treated. Upon arriving, we saw Sheffield entertaining his questions about the things that had happened during his supposed "death".

"Good morning, Sheffield!" Nat greeted. Sheffield turned to us with a smile and returned the greeting. "Hey guys!" David beamed. We smiled and sat beside him on either side of the bed. "I brought you some clothes." I said putting it on the side-table. "We also have a little present for you!" My sister sing-songed slightly shaking the gift in her hands and gave it to David. "Aww, thanks guys!" David happily replied. "Don't worry I made sure it's not one of those pranks Nicci used to do." My sister joked. I glared at her statement.

David opened the gift with a big smile on his face. It was his suit. "We made sure it's water and fire resistant. Now I can worry less about stains, making it easier to clean." Sheffield huffed as we chuckled at her response. "Excuse me girls, but visiting hours are over." Vestal announced from behind. We nodded and said our goodbyes and parted ways.

As my sister checked went to go check on the experiments with the maids, Sheffield attended to her duties as a maid, I went to the hangars, west of the island. I approached the second hangar nearest to the road. I pushed aside it's giant doors, the wind whistled and blew the tarp of our secret project. I walked alongside our sword to victory. My fingertips ran against the rough dusty tarp.

Flashback

2 months ago

After David's funeral, I sat in my room with a bottle of Oxy Cola. I looked at the bottle when a question ran through my head and thought, "What would David think seeing me like this?". I picked up the bottle and threw it at the wall, shattering it and spilling its contents. The door burst open and my sister came in along with Belfast, weapons at the ready.

"Nicci! What happened? What's-" She trailed off. I looked over my shoulder and growled, "Get me the Manjuus." They looked at one another unsure what to do next. Belfast smiled and bowed, Natalya followed suit and left the room. "Anchors aweigh my boys" I mumbled with a grin.

After a refreshing bath, I walked west of the Island and came across an abandoned airstrip. Craters filled the makeshift runway, hangars were littered with holes and rust, shrapnel, glass, and bullet cartridges scattered the dirt across the grounds, fuel tanks were blown apart, the ATC's windows shattered and was broken in half, abandoned and broken aircraft filled the tents.

I carefully surveyed the area. 'Most of the buildings are intact, the aircrafts can still be repaired, these fuel tanks can be replaced, the ATC can be repaired, the planes could possibly be reconstructed making it better, and electricity can still be restored. This can work!' I thought. My sister and the manjuus arrived with cranes and trucks shortly after.

"Sis, what's all of this for?" She desperately asked me. I turned on my heels and looked at her and the manjuus with a smile plastered on my face. "With this, we'll turn the tides, win the war and find David!" I declared spreading my arms motioning for the airfield behind me. The manjuus all jumped ecstatically raising their tools. My sister smiled and proudly raised her fist.

Present

I smiled reminiscing at the memory of how the project began. Tiny footsteps were heard from behind. I looked over my shoulder and saw the Manjuus with their tools. I smiled and turned on my heels and picked up my welding mask and apron. The manjuus and I began on continuing the aircraft that would defeat the sirens and unite Azur Lane once more.

Natalya P.O.V.

I was in an empty classroom with Belfast, Curlew, Edinburgh, and Charybdis. We were conducting experiments and studies on the black wisdom cube. Belfast was writing down on a clipboard, Edinburgh was poking it with a pencil- which dissolved upon contact, Curlew arrived with a crucible tong and quickly put it back in a red container while Charybdis and I were talking about Enterprise and David's situation.

"David has not acted in such a manner before. He was quite brash yes, but not to the extent that he would get himself severely injured." I worriedly told Charybdis. "The same could be said with Miss Enterprise. Despite her stubborn nature, she would never attack her allies." She replied. It was all fine and dandy when a thought came to mind. 'I haven't told them.' I thought carefully deciding my next move.

"Excuse me Charybdis but, I must see Wales. There's something troubling me." I hastily excused myself and left. I exited the academy and looked for Queen Elizabeth, Wales, Hood Illustrious, Hornet, and Cleveland. I desperately ran looking for them. I needed to tell the truth.

After a few minutes of running, I found them eating parfaits and drinking tea with Ark Royal. "Wales, I need to tell you something." I said through my breathes. They looked to me and gave me water and a parfait. "You look rather hammered. What's with this all of a sudden?" Queen Elizabeth said. "The truth" I said with a firm look. They all sat down around the table and leaned in. "Go on..." Hood said with a hint of concern.