Chapter 28: Last Crusade

3rd P.O.V.

The brutal battle continued as plumes of smoke and flames fill the blue horizon. The roaring engines and rattling guns echoed the skies. The Sirens and the Azur Lane alliance continue to fight in the skies and the seas. Planes zoom and whirr past one another, weaving left and right, climbing and diving the smokey-burnt skies. Bright flashes fill the dim clouds as a German fighter emerges from a cloud being chased by a siren jet.

The jet fired a missile, it zoomed towards the German fighter, but just before it could approach it; the German plane banked left and in a tur of events, a Supermarine Seafires of the Royal Navy swooped in pelting both the missile and the Siren jet by surprise. Its guns fired a short burst reducing it ball of fire. Meanwhile down below, the battle is a firefight, both sides exchange salvo as allied and enemy aircrafts zoom by getting caught in the crossfire.

Up in the skies above, the sun shone brightly and the clouds skimmed across until, the clouds swirled with a rumble. Out of the clouds, erupted a blur it was followed by a loud whoosh as a black sharp dart followed it. Their engines echoed the skies above the fray. Beams fired one after another. The white aircraft banked left and right. The beams flew past it and suddenly the white aircraft's flaps slowly fell down. The nose slowly climbed and its engine came to a halt causing it to lag behind and fly over its pursuer. Once it recovered with the its nose directly behind the black dart, its guns flashed and the siren lit ablaze.

The siren lost all control vanishing into the white mist below. It was quiet until, a red beam flashed beside the white plane. The wing was set aflame, it spiraled down into the clouds as the engines with a cry descending into the battlefield below. The windshield slid open and the pilot jumped out entering free fall. As the pilot neared the ocean surface, a figure caught the pilot and landed on a ship's deck. The pilot was set down and he thanked his savior with a nod. They jumped off deck and re-entered the fray. "Things aren't looking too good the others are getting exhausted." A weary voice spoke. "I know and I don't want to keep this going any longer." The pilot replied, clenching his fists. "Get me Hornet and all available carriers equipped with bombers, let's make it rain." He said looking at the portals spewing out countless Siren ships.

David P.O.V.

I stood on the deck overlooking the dreadful battle. I had just lost my aircraft to a stray siren salvo. The battle has been going on for hours and ever since the battle begun, the sun hasn't set. "David, they're here." A voice called me. I turned around and saw Enterprise with her sister, Hornet along with the other carriers I asked. I nodded and approached them and briefed them about my plan.

"Right now, the battle's long due and our friends are past their limits. We need to retreat and end this at the same time." I said with a heavy frown. "But how, sirens are everywhere?" Hornet said, her fright can be heard with every word she spoke. "We'll have a squad of Avengers deploy smoke, while Hornet and the other bomber squadrons will launch a bombing run as we retreat." I explained to the girls. Our attentions were suddenly caught by an approaching aircraft.

The aircraft approached the deck fast and high. Its propellers came to a stop. It tilted sidewards and disappeared from behind. It reappeared and came to a halt as the right landing gear broke causing the nose to crash with a screech. We all ran to the plan and saw Nicci and Natalya slumped over their seats. Fear took over me as I saw the condition they were in. Their foreheads and uniform drenched in blood, glass shattered and littered the cockpit, and their pale skin. "Get Vestal up here NOW!" I barked. Three of the girls jumped off to fetch vestal.

When vestal arrived, the twins were taken to the ship's sick bay. I could only wait for what Vestal could say. I paced the halls until the door creaked open. "Well, how are they Vestal?" I asked. "Well, from what I could examine, extreme fatigue, minor cuts, minor bleeding and dehydration. Nothing fatal." Vestal explained. I let out a sigh of relief upon hearing it. I thanked her and she nodded in response and exited the vessel.

I came up to the deck and saw them all huddled together. Once they saw me they all turned to me. "Nothing fatal, thankfully." I reassured them with a smile. They sighed, relieved of the results. "So, are we still going gonna ride this rodeo?" Hornet asked. All eyes turned to me as my decision was going to decide the game's outcome.

A long silence passed between me and the girls. "Mann your stations and get every plane in the air." I said raising my fist. They all nodded and relayed the message. The sound of fire slowly ceased as mists of water neared us. The ship slowly turned away from the fight and a series of plunks followed behind. Hissing soon followed as the carriers prepared the rumbling bombers. The remaining destroyers and cruisers created a wall of smoke, obscuring the alliance from the sirens. The sirens sailed them full steam ahead as more and more ships poured out of the portals.

3rd P.O.V.

Minutes had passed, the alliance had reached a distance far enough from the incoming sirens and the smokescreen is slowly disappearing. Inside the infirmary, the David stood between the beds where the twins lay unconscious. He left a note on the side table and walked out the door. He exited the hall and walked the crowded and buzzing deck. He walked to the end of the deck where a blue aircraft with wings folded above its canopy stood idly as the one after another, the bombers flew off the deck. He climbed up the wing and entered the cockpit and did his preflight checks. Once he finished, he started the engine and as the final bomber took off he flicked a switch and the wings slowly folded down until it came to a halt with it slightly pointing up.

Inside the infirmary, Nic stirred awake and just as David took off the flight deck catching up to the rest of the squadron, she looked around and saw a note on the side table. She opened the folded note and it read, "Nat, Nic, I know you two can't hear me and I know I haven't been the best friend you've had but, you two are the best thing that's ever happened to me. Through thick and thin of my life you two have always been there for me. You two cared for me when my parents didn't, you comforted me when my grandfather passed and you helped me to survive after his passing. I couldn't ask for better friends.

But this might be the last thing you'll get from me. I might not comeback from what I'm about to do and I know one of you two would put your life in the place of mine or your sister's, but this is something I have to do myself. Not just for you two but also for the entirety of the fleet. Ever since that storm that brought us here, it was like living in a dream; except it was real. But now every second that passes, more lives are at stake and I won't just sit here and let that time come. I need to face it head on. No sacrifice, No Victory."

Up in the skies above, the mighty rumbling engines of countless bombers escorted by a handful of interceptors flew in between the cold damp clouds. Just above them, a Corsair loaded with four rockets on each wing and two five hundred-pound bombs between the wings watched over the bombers in case any siren jet attempted a strafing run he'd be the first to fire. Inside the canopy, David sat holding the stick tightly fearing the worst possible outcome. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. "Lord, help me in this mission and guide through the dangers I'll face, help my friends and the fleet sail away from the pursuing sirens, may this be in your favor and end the war, in Jesus' name, Amen." David prayed.

As David finished his prayer a whirring sound echoed from below. He banked right and saw between the clouds the sirens were in bombing range. He wiggled his plane signaling to release the payloads. The bombers' bomb bay door opened and they all dropped their bombs, raining the sirens below as explosions echoed below. The dive bombers and torpedo bombers banked away and began their dive. The medium bombers turned away back to the fleet and David dove after the bombers to intercept incoming aircrafts. "Let's fill 'em with lead 'till they're dead!" David said furrowing his brows as the battle begun.