Prologue

Katie "Blaze" Blackwood is the daughter of Charlie Blackwood. She was a former instructor at Top Gun. Growing up, her mother always pushed her to do her best...especially when it came to flying.

Katie never knew her father. Charlie told her when she was about 11 that her father had died during a training exercise with his best friend right before she found out she was pregnant. When she was in the Navy learning how to fly, she was surprised her mother never made a fuss about "this is how your father died, I don't want you to fly". Her best friend whom she met in the Navy had a mother like that. Bradley said his father also died during a training exercise, when he was at Top Gun. 

She was one of the very few who got to call him Bradley. She always called him by his call sign, but sometimes she'll call him by his actual name. They grew to be very close. Best friends even. With how close they had grown over the years, growing closer when Katie's mother passed away. Goose's mother died before they had even met, so he helped her through the grieving process. They even went to each other's places for holidays. Katie became Rooster's wingman. Luckily for the both of them, that continued when they both went to Top Gun together.

After they both graduated, they got stationed in different places. 

A few years after leaving Top Gun, Katie had become known as one of the fastest pilots in the Navy. She also had one confirmed kill during a mission she went on. She loved what she did. She never felt happier unless she was in the air.

One day, while doing a training exercise on base, she was called into her Commander's office. Her meeting  was very brief.

"You've been called back to Top Gun, Blaze." She said as Katie's stomach dropped slightly.

"Ma'am?" Katie asked in shock.

"I don't know why, but they have called for you. You report there in two days." She responded.

"Y-yes Ma'am." She saluted her Commander and walked out.

Why would they call her back. She already graduated...second in her class might she add. She kept wondering if she was the only one they had called back. She's wondering if everyone she graduated with got called back. She's wondering is Rooster had gotten called back. She hadn't seen him in almost 4 years. Part of her was so excited to be back at Top Gun, but part of her was terrified as to what it could mean.