Chapter 2

Bradley's POV:

When I pulled up to the Hard Deck, I saw her jeep sitting outside...my heart stopped. I only knew one person who had a Burgundy jeep, who almost always had the top and doors off. I knew she was here. I hadn't seen my best friend in almost four years, when we graduated from Top Gun. She got stationed in Key West, and I went to Texas. It was where we lived when I was younger, and it's where my mom was buried. 

I walked inside and I saw Hangman and Phoenix with a few other people, people that must've also went to Top Gun. Then I saw her. She had cut her hair. In my opinion, short hair looked best on her. I saw her standing there, her back to me, I could tell she had been laughing by the way her shoulders moved. I figured I would surprise her. She had gotten more tan from being in Florida. When I saw her big green eyes looking up at me, something changed. Just looking at her, I was stunned. I have had a crush on her since I met her, but after we left Top Gun, we didn't stay in contact much. I didn't know if I was going to ever see her again, but I thought about her all the time. I had my share of girlfriends, but respectfully, they were never Katie. I wonder if she felt the same. 

When I saw her again, it was like my heart skipped multiple beats. Just looking at her, I was in awe. I knew of her little fling with Hangman at Top Gun, so I was even more jealous of him. He had her...my girl. But, when they ended things, she focused on her flying then guys. I just respected the fact they still respected each other. But, he got on my nerves too many times than I would like to admit. 

"Is that you, Blackwood?" I got her attention from behind me. I could tell she froze. 

"Take those glasses off, Bradshaw and let me see ya." She laughed.

Her voice gave me butterflies. I haven't heard her voice in so long. It was heavenly. It was so warming and comforting...anyone she talked to automatically was calm, because it was so angelic and soothing. I took off my glasses and looked down at her. The biggest smile came upon both of our faces. 

"Bradley!" She squealed and jumped into my arms. 

I saw Phoenix smile, knowing how I felt about Katie. I saw Hangman have a slightly annoyed look on his face. The rest just looked plain confused. They'll figure out sooner or later. 

"It's so good to see you, Brad." She whispered as she buried her face into my neck. 

"It's good to see you too, Kat." I whispered back.

She still wore the same perfume from school. It was her "signature scent" so she said. I missed the smell of that perfume. 

After Hangman got on me about my flying, we all looked over at the multiple pods of pilots and other members of the Navy. I looked over and she just looked so beautiful. I didn't realize I was staring at her until she was smiling at me. I could feel myself blushing slightly. I saw her nod over to the piano...she knew what I was gonna do when I unplugged then jukebox. I saw her bring Phoenix to the piano, and they both stood at my side and sang with me. 

By the time the song had finished, the jukebox was plugged back in, and everyone was dancing with everyone. Katie had gotten a few drinks in and she was very loosened up. She was already a confident and outgoing person, and when she drank, she just became even better. Her and Phoenix were dancing together while everyone played pool.

"Rooster!" Phoenix called out.

"Where's Blaze?" I asked.

"Bathroom. Why don't you dance with her next? We both know you want to." Phoenix smiled.

Phoenix knew how I felt about Katie. She and I were good friends during Top Gun, and she saw how I looked at Katie. Katie came out of the bathroom and gave us all a huge smile.

"Blaze! Let's dance!" I called out to her.

She smiled and grabbed my hand and we danced. We laughed the whole time, especially when we broke out old dance moves.

"It's been so long!" Katie smiled up at me.

"I wanna catch up with you! I wanna know everything I missed!" I had the biggest smile. 

"My place tomorrow! I'll make us the Alfredo we never stop eating!" She laughed as we danced.

"You can count on it, Blackwood!" I grabbed her and spun us in a circle.

Her laugh was so contagious. We drank our beers, but were still sober enough to drive home. She honked repeatedly as she sped off. I watched her drive away and smiled. I don't ever wanna be far away from her ever again.