Chapter 28

Rooster's POV:

"I'm pregnant, Bradley. We're gonna have a baby." I heard her say.

Of all things I was expecting her to say, it definitely was not that. She looked so nervous for me to say something.

"Wh-Wh-When did we?" Was all I could get out. 

"That morning after. We got carried away and just forgot." She continued nervously.

"So you're only a few weeks along?" I asked her.

"Yeah. I went to the doctor yesterday." She told me.

"Before you came over? Before we did all that?" I asked her.

"Well I definitely didn't do it after." She chuckled, attempting to lighten the air.

"So you're having a baby? My baby?" I asked.

"Yes I am. Are you mad?" She asked nervously.

I looked at her, my shocked expression softening.

"You're so adorable." I chuckled.

"What do you mean?" She asked, still nervous.

I didn't say anything, I just grabbed her face and kissed her. I kissed her like it was the last time I was ever gonna kiss her.

"I could not be more happier in my entire life." I looked at her as her eyes began to water. I pulled her into the biggest, yet most gentle hug. 

We stood there for a little while, just holding each other. Never in my life did I think this would be happening. I was still processing the fact I was dating the girl of my dreams, and now she's having my baby. We were gonna be a family. This all happened so fast, but I have been in live with her since she was 18 years old. I knew when I saw her again a few weeks ago, that she was it for me. From that moment I first kissed her...I knew it was her. I knew she was the one. The one thing that worried the shit out of me now was the mission. The fact that not only could I potentially fly, so could she. Also, I knew our lives were at steak, but now our baby's life was at steak too. I didn't want her flying...just so I can have the assurance that she would be safe. That they both would be safe. Part of me didn't want to fly, so I knew I would be with them, but also part of me still wants to prove myself to Mav. 

"I don't want you to fly." I told her. She pulled away and looked at me confused.

"Why?" She asked.

"So I know you will be safe. So that you both are gonna be safe." I told her.

"If Maverick chooses me too be his wingman, Rooster...I'm flying." She told me.

"I can protect you down here...not up there." I told her.

"If I get chosen. I'm flying. I don't want you flying either then. That way you can actually know your baby." She looked at me a little hurt.

"I'll make it back." I looked her in the eyes.

"And I wouldn't?" She asked, starting to get annoyed. 

"That's not what I said." I told her. 

"You really had to ruin the moment didn't you? You and my father really are the same." She shook her head and turned around.

"I don't want you to die, baby." I tried grabbing her hand, but she pulled it away.

"And I don't want you to die!" She looked at me, her eyes watering.

"I cannot lose you and our baby! I would rather die than live to see that happen!" I raised my voice.

She stood there staring at me, tears brimming her eyes. She was shocked I would even say something like that. And I never meant it like that. I never meant for that to hurt her. 

"If you die...do you think I'll be able to live with myself? Do you think I will physically be capable of raising this baby without you? I don't want this baby to live the life I lived. The life you lived too." She let the tears fall.

Tears were brimming my eyes. I didn't want this to turn into a fight. We have had our little arguments, but not a fight like this. I hated seeing her upset. My heart broke looking her, knowing I'm the reason she's upset. I couldn't say anything. She stood there for a few more moments, before going upstairs without a word. 

"Katie! Katie wait!" I called out to her, walking to the edge of the stairs. I stopped as I heard the door slam.

Of course I had to make awful for her. I know how bad she can overthink, and I just let my selfishness get in the way. I sat on the couch with my head in my hands. I wish I never said what I said to her. I just put the thought of me dying in her head, and I didn't want her thinking that at all. I just loved her so much, and I was so scared to lose her for good right as I got her. And now we were gonna be a family. I couldn't live with myself knowing her and our baby were both gone. I didn't want to die either. I want to experience my child's life. I don't want our baby living the lives Katie and I lived. 

I wiped the tears off my face and walked up the stairs. I had to go apologize to her. I slowly opened her bedroom door and saw her back facing me. I sat down right behind her, putting my hand on her side. I could hear her soft sobs being muffled with a pillow.

"Baby...I didn't mean it to come out as harshly. I just love you and this baby so much, I can't lose you both. You are my life, Katie. You both are. You're my everything. I love you so much, and I'm so sorry I even said any of those things to you." He gently cupped her face and wiped her tears away.

She didn't say anything...she just rolled over and hugged me. She was still crying, so I scooped her up in my arms.

"I love you so much, Kat. I never meant for that to hurt you. I'm so so sorry." I brushed her hair.

"I'm sorry for saying you were like Mav, and that you ruined the moment." She sniffled.

"No. I'm sorry for ruining the moment. This is one of the happiest moments of my life, and I ruined it. I wish I never said it to you. I wish I could take it all back." I kissed her head.

"I love you so much, Bradley Bradshaw." She sat up and hugged me.

"God, I love you too. And I swear I will make it up to you when we come home." I told her, causing her to smile.

"I know you will." She rested her head on my shoulder.

"And you wanna know something?" I asked her.

"What's that?" She responded.

"I love you...AND I love this baby. I love it so much already." I chuckled and laid her down. I lifted up her shirt to kiss her bare stomach. 

She was laughing at what I was doing. I essentially hugged her stomach, before I leaned up to kiss her. She wrapped her legs around my waist as she hugged me. I took that action to pick her up and spin her around the room. She squealed as I spun her, causing us to form fits of laughter. I put her down and gave her the biggest kiss. I was so happy. Happier than I had ever been in my entire life. But, I was also more terrified for everything that was going to come in the next few days. I didn't want to think this was our last night together, but I was so scared it was. And I just wanted to stop time and stay here for the rest of my life. Stay here and be with Katie...knowing she was safe, alive, and happy. I wanted to stay here, knowing that either one or both of us weren't potentially going to die in the next few days. I wanted so badly to know that we were gonna both come back home, and we were gonna be alive to witness the rest of our lives, and witness our baby's life...together.