Chapter 30

Hangman's POV:

She was right. I did not believe what she said. She was having a baby? I always knew they were gonna end up married, but I figured the kid part would come after that.

"And you're telling me, Bradshaw, as I live and breathe, knocked you up?" I asked.

"Don't say it like that." She lightly hit my arm.

"Sorry. I'm just trying to process that in my head. Gross." I chuckled, attempting to cheer her up.

"Oh shut up." She chuckled lightly.

"Does he know?" I asked.

"Of course he does. I told him last night. We got into an argument, but worked it out. I just didn't come to terms with the fact he might actually fly." She looked at me.

"If it helps...I would've much rather flown instead." I attempted to comfort her.

"Yeah but then I would have to worry about you. And it would just piss him off to the farthest degree. He would never forgive Maverick, who is my father if I must remind you." She told me.

"I know. I know. Just know you and I will be right there if they need us, Blaze. We won't let anything happen to them. And I will be there for you every step of the way." I gave her a side hug.

"Thank you, Jake. Can I ask you a question?" She asked.

"Of course." I said as I continued to hug her.

"How would you feel about being a godfather?" She asked me.

My breathing hitched. She wanted me to be the godfather to her and Bradshaw's baby? I couldn't believe it. It also irked me a little bit. Being the godfather means if either one of them were to die, their child would be mine to raise. I didn't want to think about that at all, but it was such an honor she trusted me enough.

"Oh my god of course!" I pulled her into a full on hug.

"Thank you, Jake. You're the bestest friend anyone could ask for." I heard the mood change in her voice.

"Everything is gonna be alright, Blaze. Just keep that in mind." I was rubbing her back.

"I hope so. Mav still has no idea." She told me.

How could she not tell her father, days before a potentially deadly mission, that he was going to be a grandfather. I mean, I could see why, considering he was team leader and everyone will be looking to him.

"He still has no idea. But I know it's gonna effect the mission. I probably should've waited to tell Brad. He got all worked up last night." She told me.

"Are you going to tell him?" I asked, knowing about her current relationship situation with him.

"I want to. I'm just scared I'll never get the chance, but I don't want to screw up their mission. I need Maverick to be on top of it, so he can protect Rooster for me during the mission." She told me.

I knew how scared she was. I saw the way she looked at him. She never once looked at someone the way she looks at him...not even me. I knew she would do anything to make sure he comes home, which scares me most, because I know she would put herself between him and a goddamn missile if she had to.

Katie's POV:

I sat there has he just held me. He held me as the friend I needed. Phoenix was eating dinner. Her and I bunked together, and she was at dinner. I didn't want to be around Rooster. It's not that he made me mad, but it was like my worst fears were coming true. Jake assured me that everything was gonna be fine...I'm just upset that I won't be by Brad's side.

"I should get going. I'm gonna go see if they have anymore food." Hangman told me.

"Thank you. For coming to talk to me." I smiled sadly and hugged him again.

"Of course. I'll be with you every step of the way, Tiger. If they need our help...we'll kick everyone's ass who stands in our way." He hugged me tightly and kissed the top of my head.

He left shortly after saying that. I laid on my bunk and thought about everything. I hoped the baby wasn't too stressed out. After about 10 minutes of being alone, I heard knocking on my door. I honestly thought it was Bradley. I wanted him to hold me. I didn't want to be around him, but I know I would hate myself for the rest of my life if I didn't be with him in potentially our last moments together.

"Bradley?" I asked as I opened the door.

Maverick stood there. He looked unsure as to why he was even at my door.

"I just wanted to say...that I'm sorry I didn't pick you to fly. When I didn't pick you, I didn't think it was because you weren't good eno-." I cut him off.

"Mav. I'm not mad. I'm not mad at you. I'm not mad at anyone. Come inside." I opened the door more to let him in. He hesitantly came inside.

"I thought you said it was the thing I would regret most?" He asked with a confused look.

"I know. But I've been thinking. I can't throw you away as fast as you came into my life. You were never there, and as much as part of me wants to say "the hell with you." I'm just simply too goddamn nice." I chuckled lightly as my eyes began to water.

He looked taken aback by what I said as his eyes also began to water too.

"I don't know what to say.....thank you. Thank you, Kate." He pulled me in for a hug.

I didn't know how to process this moment. My father was hugging me. After all these years, my father, who I thought had been dead, was hugging me. It brought tears to my eyes. He held my while I cried. My father held me while I cried.

"Maverick... I need you to do something for me." I looked at him.

"Yeah, Kate? Anything you need." He looked at me.

"I need you to protect, Bradley. I'm begging you. I would if I could, but I'm your back up if you need me. I just need you to make sure he comes back to me. Please, Maverick...I can't live without him." I told him.

"Believe me, Kate. I'll protect him. I'll protect Rooster with my life. I promised his mother, and now I promise you." He held my face.

"Thank you. You have no idea how much I appreciate it." I pulled him in for another hug.

"You really love him don't you?" He asked me.

"He's been my best friend since I was 18. I've been in love with him since I was 18. He's my life, Maverick. When you come back from this mission....I'll tell you all the funny stories I have of us two." I chuckled lightly.

"I would like that very much." I heard him chuckled through his sniffles.

If there was ever a moment I never thought I would experience...it was this. This was such a surreal moment. I thought I would hate him. As angry as I was for him never making himself known to me, I can't help but forgive him. I want him to be in my life. I wanted him and Bradley to work things out and Maverick be the father figure Bradley missed. I wanted our baby to know it's grandfather. I battled with myself...battled with the fears I had. I tried to convince myself that everything would go as planned. Everyone would come home. Part of me was scared that Maverick was right. I was fearful that he was right, and that someone wasn't going to end up coming home from this mission.