Chapter 7

Katie's POV:

I woke up curled into Bradley's arms. Nothing happened. After we danced I was very tired, and he carried me up to his room. He held me as I curled up into his side. We've slept in the same room together before, but this was different. It was Blaze and Rooster, two best friends crashing on each other's couches. It was Katie and Bradley, now dating, in his bed. No sex. No kissing. It was just us.

We had to be on base in a hour. Bradley was still asleep. He looked so cute. He had moved to sleeping on my stomach. I tried waking him up by scratching his head.

"Bradley. We gotta get up." I whispered to him.

He stirred lightly and gripped onto my waist more.

"Rooster...come on honey, we gotta get up." I rubbed his head more.

"Mmmm don't stop. We can just stay like this all day, Kat." He chuckled lightly and kissed my stomach.

"I would say yes, but we have a mission we have to train for." I smiled and pushed him off gently.

I got up and put my clothes on. My flight suit was in my locker on base. I was brushing my teeth when I saw Bradley come up behind me and hug me from behind. He rested his head on my shoulder and kissed my neck.

"I'm still mind blown that it took us 8 1/2 years to get to where we are today." Bradley looked at us in the mirror.

"I guess we'll forever be that stupid." I laughed.

We finished getting ready and followed each other to base. We sat by each other, Phoenix staring at us. I walked up to her and told her, and she had to contain her excitement to an absolute minimum. When classes started, Maverick was talking about how time was what our life depended on. How if we were behind even slightly, we could die. It was starting to make me nervous. What if Brad goes on this mission and dies and I don't. What if I go and I die and he doesn't. What if we both go and both die, and we don't get to be together. It took us 8 1/2 years to find each other again, and this mission is gonna happen in a little less than 3 weeks. We all went up, and I followed Hangman, Phoenix & Bob, and Payback & Fanboy.

"Hangman! You gotta slow down, brother! We cannot keep up." I said struggling to keep up.

I was fast, but Hangman always made an effort to be faster.

"I thought you were one of the fastest people in the Navy, Blaze." He said cockily as he continued his speed.

"Yeah but I don't let my ego get in the way." I said annoyingly.

As much as I loved that man, he always managed to get on my nerves.

"Why are you dead?" Maverick asked Hangman.

"They couldn't keep up." He said simply. I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah because you always have to be the best don't you, Hangman." Phoenix chimed in.

"What will their families accept? What will Blaze's family accept when they're putting her in the ground, because your attitude got in the way? You left your wingman. You don't leave your wingman. Ever." Maverick snapped. I have him a weird look.

I didn't have family. I only had Rooster.

"Blaze, why didn't you speed up?" He turned to me.

"I did. I was 15 seconds behind, but I couldn't keep up." I admitted.

"Is that what their families will accept at the funeral?" He asked pointing to Coyote and Fanboy.

"No, sir." I asked shamefully.

Rooster went up next with his group. I listened in on the radio. He always had his thing with taking his time. It made me worried, because this is not the time to take your time. If he goes on this mission, I needed him back in one piece...and not in a box.

Rooster made it to target, but was a minute late. He started to argue with Maverick about how there's more than one way to fly this mission. And how it was the pilot that everyone one depends on and not the plane.

"Exactly." Maverick snapped. Rooster had an angry look on his face.

"Now isn't the to dwell on the past." Hangman chimed in.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean." He got angry.

"Rooster. Don't." I whispered to him.

"Hangman back off." Maverick snapped.

"Come on. We all know Maverick here flew with your old man when he-" He was cut off by Rooster jumping out of his seat.

Everyone jumped in to split them up. I got in front of Rooster and told him to calm down.

"Hangman. You need to back the hell off right now." I snapped at him.

"Hey hey I'm cool. It's your boyfriend you need to check on." Hangman said with a cocky smirk and left the room. Maverick looked at us shocked.

"Rooster you need to calm down." I said sternly. He was absolutely fuming.

"You're all dismissed. Go home." Maverick said and left the room.

I went home alone. Bradley needed a night to cool off. Phoenix, Bob, Payback, Fanboy, and Coyote all came over for dinner and a movie night. I felt bad not having Hangman or Rooster over, but it's too much tension right now.

"So Blaze, when did you and Rooster start dating? Bob asked.

"Yesterday actually." I chuckled.

"Phoenix told us the whole story. Y'all really are as stupid as each other." Coyote laughed which made us all laugh.

"You're definitely right dude." We all laughed and watched the movie on the television.

We all heard our phones go off. It was a text from Maverick in a group chat he had made.

"Meet at the beach at 0700. No questions."

"Anyone know what that's about?" Fanboy asked.

"Got no clue." Payback laughed.

We all ended up passing out on my couches and floor. All I could think about if Bradley was okay. I texted him and he said he was okay he just needed to go blow off some steam somewhere, and that I should have a good night with everyone and that he loved me. I smiled at my phone before passing out, sitting up leaning my head on Bob's leg. As scary as life felt right now, I felt very content with everything right now.