Chapter 29

Days until mission launch: 0

Katie woke up curled in Bradley's arms. He had his hand resting on her stomach. It made her heart so warm to see that. Then her stomach dropped. She knew what today was. She didn't want to leave from Rooster's arms, in fear that this would be the last time he held her.

Rooster stirred and woke up to Katie staring straight ahead into space.

"Kat...you alright, honey?" His raspy voice got her attention.

"I don't think you want me answering that." She chuckled lightly.

They just sat there for a few moments in silence...just being in the same room as each other was enough. Katie got up and packed her duffel bag. Bradley had his bad already packed...it was just in the back of his bronco. Katie had put the doors and top back on her jeep, in case it rained while she was away. Bradley had put the top on his bronco, also in case it rained while they were away.

She came down the stairs in her flight suit, while Bradley was in his. All the stuff they needed from their lockers on base was already packed and in his trunk.

Katie looked at all the pictures she had on her walls. She looked at all the ones of her and her mom. They were intertwined with so many pictures she took while at top gun and in the academy. Her eyes landed on her two favorite pictures of her and Bradley.

One was outside the Hard Deck. She was on Bradley's back and he held onto her legs and she wrapped her arms around his neck. She had the biggest smile on her face, because she may or may not have been a little drunk. And he was looking at her like she was the only person who ever mattered in the world.

The second one was one that Iceman had gifted her a copy of. It was the one he had sent to Maverick of her and Bradley when they were in Top Gun together. She was his wingman. Her plan was right next to his and slightly further out, so you could see her and him standing in their seats. They both had the biggest smiles on their faces and held up peace signs.

She made copies of the two pictures. She made sure Bradley had a copy of each, and she also had copies of the two pictures in her home in Key West. She looked down to see Rooster standing at the bottom of the stairs. He looked at her with a sad smile.

"We gotta go, my love." He held a hand out to her. She only nodded at him.

The ride to base was quiet. They didn't say anything...they only held hands. She held his hand with one, and rested the other on her stomach. She was so worried she couldn't even voice her thoughts. She knew how scared Bradley was too. He always got really quiet whenever he was mad, scared, or sad.

When they got to where the aircraft carrier was, they were met with everyone else. They all were quiet too. They were all scared, terrified even. As they all went on the carrier, she could feel Maverick staring at her. Today was the day we all found out who was flying on this mission.

They all stood in attention as Cyclone, Maverick, and Warlock stood before us. They were telling us about how we are the best of the best, and they couldn't have picked better pilots to fly this mission.

"It's been an honor flying with you all." Maverick told them.

This was the moment Katie was waiting for. She wanted to know who was going. This is what made her nervous most of all.

"Alright, choose your two foxtrot teams." Cyclone told Maverick.

"Payback and Fanboy. Phoenix and Bob." He announced.

Katie's heart dropped. Not her Phoenix. She was her sister. She needed to be there for the baby. She needed to be there for Katie. And Bob...she loved Bob. Who didn't love Bob? That means his wingman is either gonna be Coyote, Hangman, Rooster, or Katie.

"And now your wingman." Cyclone continued.

Maverick stood there for a moment, looking between the four of them. Katie didn't meet his eyes, but he knew he was looking at her. She closed her eyes and awaited for his words.

"Rooster." He announced.

Her eyes shot open as she inhaled sharply.

"No. No no no no no no." She thought to herself.

She wanted to cry. She wanted to break down on the spot. Her Bradley was flying. He didn't pick her...or Hangman for that matter. She could feel Bradley staring into the back of her head, but she couldn't look at him. She knew if she did she would burst into tears. She looked at Jake who looked at her with a sad look in his eyes. She knew how badly he wanted to be team leader or the wingman.

"I've chosen Hangman and Blaze to be used as spares if needed. Everyone else will be notified if we need more than them." Maverick also announced.

Katie's head shot up. She looked at Hangman, who was standing next to her. They both nodded to each other, as to now they were a team. She saw Nat looking back at her with an "I'm sorry" expression. She could feel Bradley staring at her, but she still refused to look at him.

She still couldn't believe it. She still couldn't believe Bradley was flying. While she was proud he got his wish, she also has a deeper fear of him dying set in. After they were all dismissed, everyone went to go shake Bradley, Phoenix, Maverick, and Bob's hands. Everyone nodded to Katie and Hangman as they were the two definitive spares ready to fly if they were needed.

"I can't believe this is happening." Nat said in shock. Nat didn't even think she was going to go after her accident.

Katie couldn't bear it all. Her two best friends, and the love of her life were all gonna fly one of the deadliest missions in their entire careers more than likely. Not to mention Bob, Fanboy, and Payback...who were also like family at this point.

She didn't know what to do. She had to get out. She looked up to see Maverick staring at her. She wanted to cry. He knew it too, because he started walking up to her when he saw the water brimming her eyes. That's when she finally looked at Bradley. He was standing there in shock that Maverick had actually picked him. He saw her with tears in her eyes, and began to walk up to her as well. She didn't want to deal with anything, so she abruptly left with no words at all. The mission was tomorrow morning. She power walked back to her room, her sobs quietly echoing the metal halls. She hated crying, because she knew it could potentially effect the baby.

"Kate!" She could hear Jake calling out as his footsteps rounded the corner.

"Go away, Jake!" She cried as she got close to her bunker.

"Kate, hold on a second!" He called out as he started to pick up the pace to his walk.

By the time Jake had caught up to her, she was already in her room. She tried to push him out, but he knew she didn't want to be alone. She eventually gave up to him resisting to her pushing and hugged him tightly. He held her as she cried in his arms. He shut the door behind them as he just stood there and held her. Once she calmed down a little bit, he sat with her on the lower bunk and had an arm around her.

"You wanna tell me what's up, Tiger?" He asked.

"You wouldn't believe me even if I told you." She said with a stuffy nose.

"What? What could I possibly not believe from you?" He asked.

"I'm having a baby, Jake. Rooster's baby. And he could potentially die tomorrow." She told him.

He sat there staring at her, unsure of what to say. She stared at him as if his brain was trying to process life itself. She was just scared the rest of the crew would find out, and she would be forced to not fly. If Rooster needed saving, she would want to be the one to do it. No matter if she lived or died trying.