Chapter 9

Rooster's POV:

Training was dragging on. Maverick said that he was teaching us to break our boundaries, but sometimes, sometimes I feel like I'm just not good enough. A week of constant flying and learning has gone by, and all it's really done is made us feel like we all aren't ready. Katie has been trying her hardest, but Maverick pushes her more than she's ever been pushed. It doesn't help that Phoenix and Bob had their plane crash today. It effected Katie and I a lot, since her and I were best friends with the both of them, not to mention what happened with my dad. Coyote also passed out while trying to climb out and also almost died. Katie had gotten close to him as well, so she was even more worked up. She went to the hospital as soon as they were brought back, but I couldn't. He pushes us all, but her and I in particular he just critics every detail. I understand that he doesn't want me flying, but why her? It was starting to get on her nerves, because she knew she was on of the best, but he made it seem like she wasn't.

"He's pissing me off, Bradley." She huffed as she got a beer out of my fridge. And walked out to the front porch.

It was pouring rain, and we couldn't fly in the weather conditions, so we stayed inside, debated and talked about the layout of the enemy planes and their base.

"I get that. He's pissed me off a lot too. We got into a huge fight just a few hours ago." I said, trying to calm her down as I followed her out.

"Oh I know that. Everyone knows that. What I don't understand is why when he's criticizing our flying he goes for my goddamn throat. I get my life depends on it, but still there's two weeks until this damn mission, and he's already acting like I am not good enough to fly." She fumed.

"Babe, you gotta breathe. I get you're mad. But don't let it get to you. You're one of the fastest pilots in the Navy. No one knows who's going on this mission. We don't even know if this mission can actually be done." I rubbed her back.

We sat there and watched the rain crash on the sidewalk and street. The beach was right around the corner, and we could hear the waves from the wind. She leaned her head on my shoulder and sighed.

"I just haven't had someone criticize my flying as much as my mother. She did it, because she wanted me to be good. She wanted me to be one of the best. And I am. But Mav makes it seem like I'm not and I do not understand." She scooted into me.

"I know, Kat. I know." I kissed her forehead.

We stayed like that for a good 20 minutes. She threw her legs over mine, and kind of cradled herself into me. She had her arm draped over my neck, and was scratching the back of my head. I had my wraps over her legs, rubbing the side of her thigh as a way to comfort her. That's when she started chuckling.

"What's so funny, Blaze?" I laughed at her.

"Oh nothing. Just how two weeks ago, we hadn't heard a word from each other because of how busy we were for four years, and now I have never been happier with my life now that I have you." She looked at me and smiled.

"I just wished I would've said something sooner." I looked at her. She smiled and cupped the side of my face.

"You could have. But this was the right time. And forever grateful for the timing." She told me and kissed me.

We kissed for a few minutes before she started to deepen it.

"Come inside." She told me and got up.

I followed her inside, and as soon as I shut the door, she crashed her lips into mine. It was lustful, but also you could tell it was gentle. She took off her jacket and threw it on the floor, then took off my Hawaiian shirt. I knew what she wanted to do.

"Kat, are you sure?" I pulled away and asked her. She smiled and nodded her head.

I smiled and kissed her again. She had taken off my tank top and I took off hers, leaving her in her bra and shorts. I was just in my jeans. I kept asking if she was okay with it, and she constantly assured me that this was what she wanted. I picked her up and carried her up to my room. The only time we broke the kiss was when I laid her down and we took off the rest of our clothes.

I was up at 2:30 in the morning afterwards, just looking at her. She was flipped over on her stomach, and all I could see was her bare back. Looking at her just made me so happy. I do not think anyone could ever make me as happy as she made me. When I finally shifted to lay down, she moved so that her face was right by mine. I pulled her into me and gave her the tightest but most gentle squeeze. We had only been romantically together for a little over a week now, but I've known her for close to 10 years. And I've loved her the whole time. This girl, who I never thought I had a chance with, was now the girl I wanted to be with for the rest of my life.