Chapter 24

Days to mission launch: 4

Katie woke up in her bed. Bradley must have carried her up and changed her into some pjs. She looked over at him sleeping on his stomach. She smiled and started pressing light kisses on his bare back, in an attempt to wake him up. He turned his head towards her and smiled.

"You always know how to wake me up." He chuckled lightly.

"That's just cuz I love looking at you. You're so cute when you just wake up." She chuckled and laid down to face him.

"You know for throwing up yesterday, you look better." He smiled at her.

She put her hand on her stomach.

"I feel better, Bradley." She smiled and kissed him.

She wasn't lying. She physically felt better. She was still very nervous as to if she was pregnant or not. She had a feeling she was. She knew Bradley loved kids, she just didn't know how he was going to react if she said she was pregnant.

She didn't say that she felt sick, not wanting to risk that they might pull her from the mission. She held it back so that she can at least make it through the day. Once she landed for the day, she ran to the bathroom to puke.

She finished training day and drove home. She told Rooster she wasn't feeling well again, and that she would call him if she needed him. He walked her to her car, and gave her a quick kiss before going off to his car. She looked at her phone to see a text from Phoenix.

"I went to the store and got the test. I would've gotten one at the hospital here, but I didn't want anyone to suspect anything. I'll be at your place in 30 minutes."

That's where Katie's nerves set in. She was going to find out today if she was pregnant or not. She wanted so badly to tell Rooster, but she was so scared of the outcome. She was so scared that he would be angry, or if he would refuse to fly. Or if he would make her not fly.

She got home, changed into leggings and one of Rooster's shirts from when he was younger. She look at herself in the mirror and tried to envision herself being pregnant. She didn't mind the idea, she just never thought it would be before a huge mission, and let alone it would be Rooster's baby. Phoenix came by about 10 minutes later, and hand the bag with the test in it.

"Just know if it comes back positive, you have my word I won't say anything until you tell me it's okay. I'm with you every step of the way." Phoenix hyped her up.

"Thank you, Nat. I'm so scared. What if he doesn't want it? What if he's angry at me?" She asked worriedly.

"I've known Rooster as long as I've known you. He will not say he doesn't want it. He's been in love with you for years. He's told me he's going to marry you one day and you guys are gonna have a family, and you both will grow old together. He's so in love with you it's not even funny." Natasha told her.

"Okay. Okay okay Okay. I will be right back." She took the test from Phoenix and went into the bathroom.

She sat on the toilet and stared at the test. She thought back to all the memories she had made with Rooster since coming back. Since seeing him again for the first time in 4 years. Her eyes watered at all the happy memories. She wasn't scared of starting a family. She's always wanted a family. She was scared of losing him. Or if he didn't want a kid now and would run. After a few minutes of convincing herself, she took the test.

She left the test on the counter and waited for a few moments, pacing back and forth in the very tiny bathroom.

"Everything okay?" Nat asked from outside the bathroom.

"Yeah! Just waiting!" She told her.

She waited about 5 more minutes, and then opened the door. The test flipped upside down in her hand. Phoenix looked at her with anticipation.

"Well?" She asked.

"I haven't looked yet. I'm so scared at what the result is." Katie told her.

"Katie you gotta look. You're gonna be working yourself up more than you already are." Natasha told her.

Katie knew she was right. If she was pregnant, she can't be stressed too much. She didn't want to hurt the baby if there was one in there. She needed to be as stress free as possible. Which she didn't know how possible that would be, considering how stressed she's been from the beginning. She also was thinking about Maverick. If she was pregnant, he would be a grandfather.

So this potential baby's father could be going on this mission, and it's grandfather is definitely going on this mission. Katie could also be going on this mission, so her life and the baby's life would be at risk. More people were at risk more than they already were. Lives could be altered forever.

She looked at Phoenix, took a few deep breaths, and looked down at the test. She slowly flipped it over and started at the stick.

"Well?? What does it say, Kat?" Phoenix asked softly.

Katie was still staring at the stick.

"Katie?" Nat put a hand on her shoulder.

Katie looked up and took a deep breath.

"I'm gonna have a baby, Nat." She said quietly, tears brimming her eyes. That's when she felt like everything came to a stop.