Chapter 6

Katie didn't tell Rooster she was on her way. She was in too much shock from what Hangman said to her. This whole time? And he never said anything? The worst thing is, Katie had also liked him this whole time, she didn't say anything, because Rooster always had a girlfriend. Then she dated Hangman, and it kind of buffered their friendship, but they made things work. Then...they both went to different parts of the country. They never had a time, but they could have. They could have made it work. She didn't know wether to be mad, sad, or happy that he was actually in love with her.

She stared at his little house that was about 10 minutes down the street. She didn't know what to say to him. She just knew she wanted to know why he didn't say anything. She stood outside his door, mentally preparing herself for what could come of this evening. She took a deep breath and knocked on his door.

"Hey I was just about to— Kat are you alright?" He asked her.

"Why?" She asked, feeling herself getting worked up just at the sight of him. She wasn't mad at him, she was sad she didn't know sooner.

"Why what?" He asked her. She looked like she was about to cry, so he brought her inside.

"Kat, please tell me what's wrong. Did I do anything? Did I say anything?" He put her up on his counter.

"This whole time. This whole time you loved me and you didn't say a word?" She asked him. He looked taken aback.

"Who told you?" He asked nervously.

"Jake did. He told me as I was leaving today. He said everyone knows and has known for a while, but I haven't. How long? Jake said he's known since we dated. And that's why he broke up with—" He cut her off.

"The whole time, Kat. That's why I backed off from everything when you and Jake dated. I was too jealous. And I didn't say anything when we were at the academy, because you had a boyfriend at the time and I had a girlfriend. Katie, it's always been you." He brushed the small tears off her face.

"I should have known. Everyone knew. They knew how much I cared about you too." She grabbed his hand to pull him closer.

"You've felt the same way too?" He asked.

Katie smiled and her soul was so happy with what she was about to say, her eyes started to water.

"Just like you, Brad. That's why it hurt so bad when I got sent to Key West. Because I knew you weren't going to be with me. I've never wanted anyone as much as I have wanted you, Bradley Bradshaw." She smiled through her happy tears.

Rooster looked like he was about to cry.

"The whole time? And we both just never guessed?" He chuckled.

"Well maybe we're both just as stupid as everyone thought we were." He chuckled and brought himself between her legs as she sat at the edge of the counter.

"Maybe you're right." She chuckled.

They looked each other in the eyes, knowing what they both wanted. He brushed her tears off her cheeks, and rubbed them with his thumbs. She took that moment to wipe the single tear he let fall. He never cried in front of her, so it was a monumental moment for her.

"Bradley Bradshaw are you crying?" She joked.

"Oh shut up and kiss me goofball." He smiled and pulled her into him.

The kiss they shared was like nothing they both had ever experienced. Sure, they had their fair share of relationships and hook ups...but this, this was different. Everything moved like it was supposed to. After kissing for minutes, Katie pulled away and pulled him into the deepest hug.

"I love you, Bradley." She said as she nuzzled her face into his neck.

"I love you too, Katie." He rubbed her back.

"You know this is not how I expected our dinner night to go." She chuckled.

"Neither did I. But, I am going to have to kill Jake for telling you." He pulled away and kissed her forehead before he went back to cooking.

"Now hold on. What are these?" Katie pointed to the small stack of vinyls he had on a little shelf.

"Uhhhh I do not know what you're talking about." He saw her looking at him with a shocked look on her face.

"And you get on me about my vinyls. I think I rubbed off on your, Rooster." She laughed as she picked out a vinyl to play.

"Funny, Blaze. Funny." He laughed as he put the steak onto to plates.

They ate and talked as they listened to the music. He went to grab them a couple of beers, and saw that Katie was bopping her head along to the slow music.

"Dance with me." He held his hand out.

"What?" She asked as she took a a sip of her beer.

"Kat. It wasn't a question. I want you to dance with me." He chuckled and stood her up.

He brought her close to him, and they slow danced to "Unchained Melody" by The Righteous Brothers. Rooster hummed the song to her. She looked up at him and smiled. She then rested her head on his chest, listening to the heartbeat and his muffled humming. She finally got what she had always wanted. And she could not have been happier.