Chapter 17

Katie barely slept that night. She tossed and turned every hour on the hour. She eventually got up out of bed around 4 in the morning to get some food. She barely had even anything at all the day before, so she made herself a bowl of cereal. She sat out on her steps and listened to the waves crashing on the sand. The beach a few blocks away, so she could hear the waves when it was windy or high tide.

As she listened to the waves, she knew she wanted to surf. She had learned to surf while she lived in Florida. Luckily for Katie, she brought her board when she made her trip back here. She opened her garage, and threw the board in her trunk. She enjoyed the cool breeze of the wind. She could also smell the saltiness of the waves in the air. She heard her screen door open. She looked and saw rooster throwing on a jacket, because it was a little chilly from the wind. She laughed, because he also had some cereal in his hand.

"Whatcha doin up so early, Rooster?" She smiled at him as he sat down next to her and gave her a quick kiss.

"I heard you get up. I heard the door open and then I heard your garage. I looked out your window and saw your jeep was still there. I came down to see where you had run off to, but then I saw the cereal box on the counter." He laughed.

"Yeah I hadn't eaten anything, so I was super hungry." She chuckled as she finished her cereal.

"Why are you up?" He asked her.

"I couldn't sleep. I kept tossing and turning. I couldn't stop thinking about everything." She shook her head.

"I know. Me too. I've either stayed up so late thinking, or got up early because I was thinking so much." He scooted closer to her.

"We'll be fine right? We'll both make it back? We'll actually get to go on that vacation together?" She asked him. He knew she was scared. He was too.

"We will, babe. I promise you we will both make to out of this. We will go on that vacation. You can even pick where we go." He smiled at her.

His issue is the exact same as hers. She didn't know of they both were gonna make it out of this. She really wanted to believe they would. So did he...he so badly wanted to tell her that he knew they were both gonna be okay. The problem was that he didn't know...he didn't know of they were gonna both make it back. He so badly wants think so, but his anxiety over losing people he loves, not to mention he might also die, or the fact his friends could as well...all of that made him one big ball of anxiety. He felt terrible doing it, but he had to lie to her in order to make sure she felt good about going into the mission. If she flies or doesn't, she needs to be positive...especially with everything going on right now.

They just sat their in a comfortable silence, their hands holding each other's. As 5:30 rolled around, they both went inside to get ready. Katie really didn't want to go surfing alone, but Rooster didn't know how to surf. So she texted the two other people closest to her. Hangman and Phoenix.

Blaze
Do any of you know how to surf?

Hangman
Of course I do, why?

Phoenix
Yeah I learned when I was stationed in Hawaii.

Blaze
Meet at the Hard Deck after we're finished today. I wanna surf and I don't wanna go alone:p

Phoenix
Hell yes I'll be there!

Hangman
Since when did you know how to surf?

Blaze
Since I've been stationed in the Keys, dumbass:) you in or not?

Hangman
Sure why the hell not!