Chapter 32

Katie listened very intently as everyone flew. She wanted to hear every single thing that was said. She wanted to hear if anything went remotely wrong. She was ready to go. She was ready to fight. She was ready to protect her family.

"2 minutes 30 seconds starting now." She heard Maverick say. She heard the rest of them mark their times.

"Here we go." She thought to herself.

She could hear their stressed breathing through their coms as they made the tight turns through the mountains.

"First SAMS spotting up ahead." Maverick announced.

"Oh my god." She heard Phoenix say.

Katie's face turned white at the tone of Nat's voice.

A few seconds later, Rooster flew by. He slowed down, his nerves setting in.

"Rooster, we gotta move!" Payback told him.

Katie looked at Hangman with nervous eyes. He assured her with a nod that everything is okay. Rooster was a cautious flyer, but in this situation she wished he would move it, so he can make it there on time. So that he would come home.

"About 1 minute to target. Update on Dagger 2?" Maverick called out.

"About 20 seconds behind! C'mon man we gotta move it or lose it!" Payback responded.

"Two bandits spotted about 2 minutes south." The lady called out over the coms.

"They're gonna go defend the base as soon as those missiles hit, we gotta get in and out before they even get there! Increasing speed!" Mav told everyone.

"Don't wait for me, Captain!" Nat said as she also increased her speed.

"Rooster, man we gotta go or those bandits will be waiting for us when we get there! Then we're really toast!" Fanboy told him.

"Talk to me dad." He said as he slowed his breathing.

Katie could hear him. Her heart broke at the fact he wanted his dad. But she smiled, knowing he always did that when he was nervous.

"C'mon Rooster. Don't think. Just do." Maverick told him through the coms.

Her heart started beating faster at the fact that her father responded.

"You can do this, Bradley." She said quietly in her coms.

With her comment, he increased speed very rapidly.

"Not that fast, Rooster! Increasing speed!" Payback yelled.

"Damn, Bradshaw!" Fanboy yelled.

"Daggers 2 and 3 re-engaging!" The lady called out.

It brought a smile to Katie's face. She looked over at Hangman, who was smiling at her.

"Approaching the incline." Maverick said as him and Phoenix started their climb up the mountain.

"Okay. Hit the target and come home." Cyclone told them.

Maverick and Phoenix made their inverted dive, and Bob started to aim his laser. Katie had her fingers crossed.

"Laser locked!" Bob called out.

"Bombs away!" Mav said as they started their climb.

"Rooster...status!" Maverick called out.

"Almost there!" Rooster responded.

Katie could hear Maverick, Phoenix, and Bob's very strained breathing, imagining the pressure on their bodies rn.