Fault

Severus felt a headache coming through as he woke up, looking around and finding himself in the infirmary. He turned his head to the table next to the bed to find a note from Madam Pomfrey, urging him to drink an energising potion. He did, pursing his lips at the foul taste.

He turned his head when he heard the sound of flushing. The person leaving the bathroom was Sirius Black. He was adorned by a hospital gown, his hair back to its clean state, yet his skin was still pale and he had bags underneath his eyes.

Their eyes locked together for a moment. Then a smile broke up on Blacks face. He walked to Severus' bed.

"Who would have thought that the first face I'd see, minus Poppy is that of the handsome Severus Snape." He said, sending Severus a devilish grin.

Severus could not bring himself to laugh along with him. He once again did something that made him wonder if he was touch starved. Why else would he hold Blacks hand and pull Black closer? Why else would he be feeling Blacks face to assert that its him, not an illusion. Severus must be touch starved. And all kinds of starved because of what he said next.

"I'm sorry Bl-- Sirius, I shouldn't have told you to leave. Maybe if you stayed we could have avoided all the things that happened to you." Severus said in a very low voice.

Blacks already stiffened face produced a frown.

"Severus, you know how relentless that creature is right? You've experienced it, do you really think it would have given up on capturing me?" Sirius said, raising a brow at Severus.

Severus could not counter that. What Sirius said was true, that creature -- no monster is cruel.

So Severus asked him another question, "What did it want from you?"

"It wanted to 'punish' me. Apparently I shouldn't have any relations that I have now with you, are you sure that you haven't broken someone's heart because that thing sounded like an angry ex."

His breath hitched. James was right. He was the cause of all these problems. Even if Sirius spoke in a joking manner, even if he tried to comfort Severus, the truth of the matter is that people are getting hurt because of him. 'So much for a quiet year' he thought.

Footsteps fell on his ears and soon McGonagall, Dumbledore, James and Remus emerged from behind the curtain.

"Well, good morning dear boys, you seem to be getting along well," said Dumbledore.

Grinning, Sirius hopped onto Severus' bed at the same time.

"Why yes Headmaster, I had to comfort my Juliet you see, he cannot live without me," he said, swinging his arm around Severus, pulling him closer.

The Headmaster chuckled, McGonagall smiled, Remus giggled while James glowered.

"Back to business boys, Mr Snape, I have to commend you for your skills in spells, albeit you did something reckless. I believe it will not repeat itself in the future. Isn't that right my boy?"

Severus nodded.

"We believe the creature attacking you is an infestation of negative emotional mass. As in, a parasite that usually gains its strength from the trauma, grief and hatred brewed by its victims. It becomes stronger if both the victim and perpetrator are in close vicinity. They often leave the victims of such emotions be when they stop having large amounts of negative emotions. Its very rare for them to attack the people whose emotions they fed on. This one must be really powerful," Dumbledore said, solemnly.

"So you mean to say that, its been gaining power from our negative emotions?" Severus asked.

"You're its main source of energy Mr Snape, the other boys are more like reserves for when you're running low on energy you see," Dumbledore replied.