Seven | Place To Stay

Steve's POV

I pulled away and smiled at Nancy. She smiled slightly, "I'm sorry.." I heard her say.

"Wait, why?" I asked, confused.

"I- I'm not ready to start dating again, after what happened with Jonathan. I really need a break. I'm sorry, Steve.." she said.

"Oh, It's okay! I didn't expect you to start dating immediately after what happened with him. Take your time!" I quickly explained. I felt my heart break slightly as I said that, but hopefully, when she's ready, we can date.. But if she doesn't want to date me, it'll be fine, I respect her, and I'm not going to push her to date me.

She smiled slightly, "When I'm ready to start dating again, I'll let you know." She quickly replied, I felt my ears turn red as she said that. "Is your face feeling any better?" She asked me.

"Yeah, way better." I smiled at her.

"You could always stay here if you'd like, so your parents can't hurt you.. My parents wouldn't mind at all!" Nancy explained, I smiled.

"They'd kill me.." I replied.

"Then just sneak out! If you would want to stay here instead of being abused.." she said, I smiled.

"Yeah, for sure!" I smiled slightly, saying that. She grabbed my hand.

"Let's go ask my parents if that's okay!" I nodded and took her hand as she opened the door and started walking downstairs.

We hit the bottom of the stairs, and Nancy looked at her parents, "I told you she'd get back together with Shawn!" Ted practicality yelled.

"Steve, Dad. For the last time!" Nancy yelled back, I smiled slightly, "We aren't together, Mr. Wheeler, just good friends.." I explained, my heart breaking again. Nancy smiled at me, "I'm taking a break from dating anyway, but also, could Steve maybe stay with us for a while? His parents...Nevermind! Besides the point, he really needs a place to stay, please?" Nancy explained.

"As long as they'll be no baby Harringtons running around..okay?" Karen told Nancy.

"Of course!" I said happily, "Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!" I told them, Karen smiled and nodded as we walked upstairs again.

Mike walked out of his room with a letter in his hand. He smirked at Nancy. "What?" She asked him.

"I knew it!" Mike yelled as he ran downstairs.

"Knew what?" I yelled.

"Nothing!" He replied, weird kid.. Nancy opened the door to her room, and we walked in.

"So tonight I sneak out of the house?" I asked her.

"Yep, and the guest bedroom is right next to Mike's room, I'll clean that room later before you come. What time are you going to be here?" She asked me.

"Probably around 11:30ish? My parents are out partying around then, I'll pack my bag and leave as soon as I can!" I explained to Nancy.

"Okay! Well, you better get going, so you don't get into more trouble with your parents.." Nancy told me.

"Yeah, I guess I'll see you later!" I said to Nancy.

"See you later!" I heard her yell as she walked out of the house. I got into my car and drove back home.

I walked through the door and walked upstairs. I heard my parents shower running and the blow dryer. They were probably getting ready to do their nightly partying, nothing new. I went to walk into my bedroom when I heard my mom, "Where were you, mister?" She asked me.

"Oh.. I was doing an extra shift at work!" I lied.

"Oh really? I'm surprised you even have a job. You're completely useless!" I heard my dad yell from the shower. I stopped talking and walked to my room, I started packing my bag as they were finishing getting ready.

*****
Time Skip

Nancy's POV

I just finished getting the guest room ready when I heard a knock on the door, I ran downstairs and saw Steve. "Hey! Come in!" I told him.

"Thanks again, I really appreciate it, Nance." Steve told me as we walked upstairs to the guest bedroom.

"No problem, anytime!" I told him, I opened up the bedroom, "Sorry, it's a bit small.." I apologized.

"It's great! It's better than anything I have now!" Steve said and smiled. He dropped his bag on the bed and sat down, "How long am I aloud to stay here?" He asked.

"As long as you need, we never have guests anyway!" I told him as I walked out, "I'll let you get settled!" I closed the door and walked to my room.

I sat on my bed and stared off for a minute or two. "Kids, dinner's ready!" I heard my mom call, I walked out of my room and went downstairs. I sat next to Steve at the table.

"Why don't you and Steve sleep together?" Holly asked me, I choked on my food.

"What?" I asked her.

"You know, sleep together? In the same room?" I looked at Steve and saw his head shoot up.

"Well, we don't sleep in the same room because we don't want to, we both like personal space.." Steve explained to Holly.

"Oooh.." Holly replied," I heard Mike laughing, I glanced at him.

"What's so funny?" Ted asked him.

"Oh, nothing, nothing at all!" Mike replied, "And why do you care? You never cared about what's going on in our lives! So why are you caring now?" Mike told him, Karen nodded.

"Am I not aloud to care about my family? And, Nancy and Shawn -" Ted started saying.

"Steve, sir.." Steve interrupted him.

"Steve, are not sleeping in the same room. He's lucky we're even letting him stay here! Last time they dated Nancy ended up lying and went to his house instead of that stupid thing for Will- and who knows what they did ther-" Ted started explaining, I got up and walked upstairs not wanting him to finish what he was saying.

"Nancy!" I heard Steve call.

I flung open my bedroom door and slammed it, or we'll I thought I did. Steve caught the door and opened it slowly, "Are you okay..?" Steve asked me.

"Yeah, I'm fine..just kinda wanted to forget about that night, but I'm fine! Great!" I started to say.

"What do you mean you wanted to forget about it? What part I meant -" Steve asked me.

"I killed Barb, Steve! It's all my fault, I'm the reason she's dead! She could be alive right now, but instead, I told her to go home! I'm sorry, it's just that if I didn't go upstairs with you, she'd be alive.." I explained, I felt Steve grab my shoulders.

"Listen, you didn't kill her. Why would you think that?" He asked me.

"It's my fault she's dead, Steve.." I quietly said.

"Nance, stop this! That night was a mistake. We both know this, but you shouldn't live your life feeling guilty. You didn't kill her. We both know this. That demogorgon did, not you, okay Nancy?" Steve explained, I nodded and felt my eyes getting watery. I felt his hand let go of my shoulder and wiped my eyes. I smiled at him as I felt him hug me, Steve's one of the only people who actually cared about my feelings and let me talk... maybe, just maybe, I am ready to start dating..