Nineteen | A Million Times Yes

Two years later

Steve's POV

"Are you buying the ring today?" Lucas asked. The girls went out shopping, so I thought it was the perfect time to tell the boys that I'm planning on proposing to Nancy this weekend.

"I want to, but I need someone here to distract Nancy when they get back. If Nancy were to find out, I will be screwed." I told them.

"I'll stay here, I think I can distract Nancy pretty well." Will volunteered.

"Thanks, Will, I owe you." Dustin and Lucas are way more excited than Will. He's excited too, but nowhere near as close as them. "I guess I should go tell Mike then." This is one of the things I've been putting off, Mike isn't the biggest fan of Nancy, and I dating. "Mike, I need to tell you something," I said as I opened his door.

"Okay, what's up?" Mike asked.

"I'm going to propose to Nancy."

"Oh. Have you got the ring?"

"No, I'm going to buy it today," I told him. I thought he was going to be more upset by this, but I guess not.

"Can I come with you? She is my sister, after all."

"Yeah, of course! To be honest, I thought you'd be way madder." I chuckled while we both walked out of his room and downstairs.

"I mean, I am pretty upset, but she's really happy with you, and I'm not going to stop you from proposing just because of my feelings. You both are really in love, and I'm not going to ruin that. I'm happy for you both, Steve. I'm sorry I've been such a jerk to you all this time." Mike replied, and everyone looked at him in shock. I know he's sixteen, but I never thought he would ever mature this much. It almost makes me a little sad how old the boys are getting. I remember when they were these little eleven-year-old boys just trying to save Will, and here they are at sixteen, Mike letting the person he hates the most propose to his sister.

"Mike, you've matured these past two years, and I'm proud of you for that. If your sister says yes to my proposal, expect a huge question from me." I told Mike as I signaled the boys to follow me outside to my car, "Bye, Will! If Nancy asks where we are, tell them we went to get groceries!" We all got into the car and made our way to the jewelry store, "Mike, you are her brother, I need you to help me pick the perfect ring for her."

"I will, but don't stress about this too much. No matter what ring you get her, she'll love it." Mike told me as we entered the store, greeted by many, many pieces of jewelry. We walked over to the rings, and all of their jaws dropped at the huge price tags. "Five thousand dollars? Ten thousand? Yeah, no. I can get married without rings." Mike commented in shock.

"Hello! Welcome! How may I help you today?" A girl said before turning around. It was Tammy, Tammy Thompson. "Steve! Oh my gosh, how are you?"

"I'm good, you?"

"I'm great! How may I help you?"

"I'm looking for an engagement ring. In a size six."

"You're getting engaged? To who?" Tammy suddenly questioned.

"Nancy, we've been dating for about three years now and I think it's time I finally ask her to marry me," I told her.

"Are you sure she's the one? You both did break up a few years ago, it probably isn't the healthiest choice to get married to your ex. There are so many girls in this world, so many girls that are better than her." Tammy went on, "I don't think she's the one, Steve, I'm only telling you this because every time someone gets back with their ex they always end up breaking up again."

"Thanks for the information, Tammy, but I love Nancy and there's nothing that will ever change that. Now, what kind of ring can I get for ten thousand?"

After half an hour of looking at all the different shapes and sizes, we found the perfect ring. The ring had a medium size band and a circular diamond in the middle.

It was perfect.

*****

Nancy's POV

Today was the grand opening of the new mall in Hawkins so Max had the idea to go. Eleven, Karen, Joyce, and I all agreed that it would be nice to get out of the house and hang out. We ended up leaving with five bags each, "We should come back this weekend!" Max exclaimed excitedly.

"Steve and I are going on a date Saturday so we could go Sunday?" I suggested. A smile appeared on all of their faces when I mentioned Steve and I going on a date, "What?" I asked.

"We're all just so happy you both are going on a date, I can't even remember the last time you even hung out just the two of you." Eleven replied, "You have to tell us everything! Where are you even going?"

"He's taking me on a picnic in the forest! He said it's a really romantic spot! I'm so excited!" I told them smiling brightly.

***

Saturday

***
Nancy's POV

I put on a light pink dress that stopped halfway down my thigh and had big sleeves. I put my hair half up half down clipping a small light pink bow in the back. I then slipped on white heels and walked out of my bedroom, where Steve was waiting, "You look gorgeous, Nancy." That was all he said. I pecked him on the lips before we interlocked our hands and walked downstairs to head to the car, "Bye!" Steve shouted to Mike, Karen, and Ted before heading out the door.

We pulled into a random parking lot, and he got out and opened the door for me. "Thanks." I smiled, and we walked into the forest. Two minutes later we entered a circular area in the middle of the forest. Fairy lights were all over the trees, and in the middle was a soft blanket and pillows. "Oh my gosh, this is so pretty!" I exclaimed.

After we ate and talked for hours the sun started to set into a beautiful sunset. "Hey, Nancy?" Steve suddenly said.

"Yeah, Steve?" I asked. He took my hands and we both stood up, and he kissed me quickly.

"When we first started dating in high school I automatically knew you were the love of my life. Even after we broke up I could never move on. The past two, almost three years have been the best years of my life, thanks to you, Nancy. You have been there for me when no one else was, even though a war." Steve started, "I love you so much." Then he got down on one knee, and I automatically started crying as he pulled out a ring box, revealing a diamond ring, "Nancy, will you marry me?"

"Yes, a million times yes!" I managed to choke out as Steve slipped the ring onto my finger. He stood up and hugged me tightly.

"I love you so much, Nancy." He told me as he wiped the tears from my eyes.

"I love you more, Steve."

"Not a chance."

Steve and I were engaged. I was going to be Nancy Harrington.