Sixteen | The Beginning of the End

Two weeks later

Nancy's POV

We were all sitting in my family's living room, setting up the final plan. Steve, Robin, and I were going to go into the Upside Down, Eddie and Dustin were joining us too so they can distract the monsters down there while everyone else stayed in Hawkins to fight off the monsters. Max and Lucas were going to go into the Creels house so Max could enter Vecna's mind and distract him while we tried to kill him.

I grabbed Steve's hand and squeezed it nervously. He whispered, "Nancy, it's going to be okay, everything will be okay. We are going to make sure nothing is going to go wrong."

There were all sorts of weapons on the ground, guns, knives, bombs, name it, and we have it. I glanced out the window. Snow was falling at the beginning of May.

The war was starting.

*****
Two days later
*****
Max's POV

The sky was a grayish black color, and the sun had not shown in days. I looked to see Will and Mike killing a Demogorgon, Jonathan, and Argyle trying to kill a demo-bat, and it wasn't looking good for them.

"Max, come on. It's time to go to the Creels house." Lucas called out to me. The things I've been dreading for days are happening. I'm going to go into Vecna's mind, and it's a living nightmare in there. I'm only doing this to save Hawkins, I would never do this for any other reason whatsoever.

"Max, I know you don't want to do this. Believe me, I don't want you to do this either. I don't want to risk losing you over Vecna. If there was any other way to defeat him, we would do that instead. I promise, Max, I will do everything in my power to make sure nothing goes wrong." Lucas started, "We cannot thank you enough for doing this, Max. We're going to save Hawkins because of you, defeat Vecna for good. After this, we can be the normal teenagers we've always wanted to be. Think of how many people's lives we are saving, and think of how we're going to save the town we have grown up in." Just when I was going to reply, Lucas did something really unexpected. He kissed me.

I kissed back instantly, and after a few seconds, we parted, "We better get going." I whisper-yelled, and he nodded before we took off to get to the Creels house, holding hands.

*****

Robin's POV

Let me tell you something, you will never get used to the Upside-Down, and I mean never. It is absolutely disgusting here, and if you were to make one wrong step, you could die. What the heck is even wrong with this Vecna dude? Does he have a grudge against teenagers or something?

This is honestly all so stupid, but I'm not going to question anything else. "Come on, Robin! Max and Lucas are probably already st the Creels house!" Steve yelled, making me roll my eyes in response. "Once we get there, Nancy's going to flicker the lights and wait for Lucas to flicker the lights in response. From there, we are just going to blow up and shoot Vecna until he hopefully dies." Steve explained, "All will be well and blah, blah, blah, the end."

I looked back to see Eddie setting up his guitar while Dustin watched excitedly. Eddie was going to be the first and probably last person to play a guitar in the Upside-Down. He was going to play a song from Metallica, whoever that was.

***

When we got to the Creels house, we all looked at each other before going upstairs, we opened the door to see Vecna himself, mid-air, and it looked like he was sleeping. Nancy flickered the lights, and almost immediately, the lights flickered back in response. Nancy and Steve took the back-packs off of their backs and set them on the ground, and loads of guns and weapons filled the back packs.

We all lifted different weapons and started shooting rapidly.

*****
Lucas's POV

Max was now in Vecna's mind, her Walkman right next to her, just in case. She started floating, and Jason busted through the door. "What the heck? We have to get her down from there! This is exactly how Chrissy died!" He exclaimed as he walked towards her Walkman.

"No! Stop! We can't get her down from there just yet!" I argued back.

"Yes, we have to!" He pushed me away as he got closer and closer to the walkman, and I punched him. We fought for about five minutes before I heard something crack. Max's Walkman.

"Shoot, shoot, shoot!" I screamed before looking up, Max has started breaking. Her leg was facing the wrong way, and her arm too! I started to cry as she fell down into my arms, "Max, stay with me!" I exclaimed, looking at her eyes.

"Lucas! I can't see, I can't feel anything!" Max cried, "Lucas, I'm scared, I'm really scared."

"You're going to be okay, Max! Just stay here!" She went silent. Erica rushed through the door, "Erica! Call an ambulance! Hurry!" She rushed out of the door. I looked back at Jason, "You did this! If you never ruined our plan, she would be awake right now!" I looked back at Max's lifeless body and started sobbing all over again.

*****
Three Days Later
*****
Eleven's POV

We all entered Max's hospital room, seeing Lucas reading her his comic books. On the wall was a drawing of two stick figures in a movie theater. I ran up to hug Lucas, tearing up as I watched Max, not moving at all.

I tried to enter Max's brain, but nothing happened. Nothing at all. My best friend could be dead.

Steve was crying the hardest out of all of us. He thought of us as his children, and seeing one of us in the hospital, and in a coma really upset him. Nancy was hugging him tightly as tears slipped out of her eyes. "Wake up, Max, please wake up." I prayed, hoping for my prayers to be answered.