A Shadow Looming Over the Mermaid

April 23, 2101

"Mermaid Village", Shirahama Beach, Shimoda City, Shizuoka Prefecture, Izu Peninsula

On this day, Haru Shirakaba, a damselfish mermaid girl, was enthusiastically swimming out of her home in the Mermaid Village. Her mother, Mizuki, noticed her and stopped her.

"Haru... are you going to the spaceport again?"

"Yep! I'll be back by dinner!"

Haru swam south, looking busy. Mizuki let out a small sigh.

"I thought she was going to be depressed for a while, but she's been strangely upbeat since yesterday. I wonder if something happened at the spaceport?"

After being told that mermaids could not go to outer space, Haru had been terribly depressed. However, when she returned from the spaceport the next evening, she was smiling very happily. The reason for this was the promise that Hoshikazu had declared. But Mizuki had no way of knowing that.

. . .

Tokyo Spaceport, Suruga Bay, Shizuoka Prefecture

At that time, students of the Aerospace Academy were conducting their second day of practical training at the spaceport. They were now visiting the dock for space ships, which is attached to a section of the megafloat. In addition to 10 berths for ships to take off and land, the Tokyo Spaceport has three maintenance docks like this one. On top of the artificial floating island, there are warehouses for storing cargo, a glass-walled terminal with a reception desk, departure lobby, lounge, and amusement facilities such as hotels and parks, giving it the appearance of a small city. The scale of this megafloat is the largest in the world.

Among the students looking around the dock is Akira Hoshikazu. He was in the middle of touring the dock with other boys. Soon after, the time turns to noon. The person in charge of the dock who was guiding them called the students to order.

"Alright... we'll take a lunch break and meet back here at one o'clock!"

"Yes, sir!"

The students are allowed to disperse by their supervisor, and they are scattered amongst themselves. One of them, Akira Hoshikazu, spotted a human head in the seawater filling the dock. Hoshikazu rushed up to her.

"...Haru-san!"

"Yoohoo! Akira, I came to play!"

Haru waved her hand with a big smile. However, Hoshikazu's expression was grim.

"It's dangerous here! What if you get caught in the drainage pumps or something!?"

"...S-sorry."

The sluice separating the dock from the sea was open, and Haru had entered through it. But one never knows where she might get hurt swimming through the dock all by herself. Hence, Hoshikazu scolded her.

"What, what's that!?"

"Hoshikazu, what's wrong?"

Hearing his yell, a group of students from the Aerospace Academy gathered around. Then they spotted a dainty mermaid figure peeking out of the dock water.

"Hoshikazu! Is that girl...!?"

"A mermaid!? I've never seen them in person before!"

A crowd of boys and girls gathered around Haru and Hoshikazu, and a crowd quickly formed around them.

"Wait! Calm down! I'll explain!" Hoshikazu reined his fellow classmates.

He then explained his encounter with Haru from the beginning.