Queen's Guard

July 19, 2199

Earth

Tokyo, Japanese Empire

The Earth inspection team led by Queen Riza had completed their inspections in Tokyo, Tochigi, Kyoto, Okinawa, and various other parts of Japan, returning to the capital, Tokyo. They were waiting at the terminal to board the shuttle to Tokyo Spaceport to move on. Amidst the hustle and bustle of numerous officials and security personnel, Queen Riza gazed out at Tokyo Bay through the vast glass window.

"It's finally time to bid farewell to this country, to this planet, isn't it, Lothrie?"

"Yes, Your Majesty..."

Riza felt a nostalgic sadness at parting with Earth. But Lothrie's thoughts were directed in a different direction from the Queen's.

'Earth is... a harsher planet than imagined. Can we really live on this planet? Can we...'

A lush and vibrant planet... Earth was indeed a planet blessed with abundant resources and food. At the same time, it was a planet with harsh environments such as extreme heat, storms, and cold, which couldn't be experienced within controlled colonies. Almost all members who accompanied the Earth inspection, including Lothrie, the second in command of the Union, had lost much of their longing to live on Earth.

A bureaucrat from the Japanese government informed the inspection team that the shuttle was ready. Upon hearing this through an aide, the Queen stood up and began to walk, with Lothrie following.

"Shall we go back then? To the fourth planet..."

The queen bid farewell to Earth. And she proceeded to return to Mars, their current base. Following this Earth visit, a promise had been made during the press conference for imminent withdrawal from Mars, thus the Queen's Court would soon have to return to the mothership. After the formal treaty with Earth, the Queen's Court would be relocated to Earth. Despite her subordinates' fading longing for Earth, the Queen eagerly awaited the day it would happen.

Amidst this, a diplomat suddenly rushed forward to the Queen. As the Queen's guards showed visible vigilance, the diplomat, Niwatsukino, breathlessly conveyed urgent matters.

"Pardon the intrusion, Your Majesty! Prime Minister Karakida has arrived with urgent matters to discuss!"

"!?"

Upon hearing Niwatsukino's words, the Queen and Lothrie exchanged puzzled expressions. Subsequently, they were guided to a staff meeting room within this terminal's administrative area. There stood Prime Minister Karakida of the Japanese Empire, accompanied by Defense Minister Koji Yamamoto.

"We apologize for requesting an audience just before your departure, but this matter is urgent," Karakida bowed and apologized for the rudeness to the Queen.

"We are aware of that... What is the matter, then?"

In place of the Queen, Lothrie, the trusted aide and chief of staff of the Queen's Court, inquired.

"Just now... an emergency communication arrived from Titan, the moon of the sixth planet, Saturn, reporting an attack by the Space Drifters Union forces. The human settlements on Titan and Enceladus have been devastated, and the International Federation Space Force stationed there has been virtually wiped out...!"

Karakida explained the current situation with a pallid countenance. The emergency transmission from the governing administration of the Saturn region was nothing but a betrayal from those who had been trying to build a friendship until just now.

"What does this mean!? We haven't issued such orders!"

The first to voice their astonishment was Lothrie from the Earth inspection team.