Encounter

The cold air flowed in the space between OJ and Balloon as they enter the building.

"OJ, did I have to come with you? I mean, you could've asked Paper. You two are dating after all." Balloon scratches the back of his head, sighing as he picks up a cart that was next to the entrance. OJ looks around the place, and he looks at Balloon. "Paper is busy taking care of the investigation bulletin board. I should remind you that the investigation still isn't over." OJ starts to walk across some of the aisles, Balloon following at his pace. They remain in a comforting silence throughout the first part of picking up groceries. OJ places something in the cart, and Balloon follows him around. OJ pauses when he reaches the dairy section, and he goes through some of them, looking at the labels from time to time. "Uh... Balloon?"

"Hm?" OJ hands him a carton of milk and he takes it and places it inside the cart. "I'm sorry."

Well that was sudden. Why's he apologizing? "I actually believed you that time in the kitchen. For weeks I've felt guilty for not believing you at first. After hearing about your nightmares and you taking medication every single day, I felt awful." OJ placed a few pieces of cheese inside the cart. "When you burst out of your room and came screaming and running to Suitcase, I wanted to help badly. So I paired you two up for a room, and ever since then, it seems your nightmares have been dying down. Unless I'm wrong then uh, my mistake." OJ rolled the thin paper out and looked at the list with a blank face. Balloon smiles, happy that OJ was apologizing for it. He didn't want one but the fact he received one was enough to make him happy. Especially from OJ of all people.

It did feel unnatural. Almost as if OJ was truly faking it. But he looked genuine, he was frowning, his eyebrows curling down. Balloon didn't know how to respond to him though. In most cases, he would forgive the person apologizing the second they're apologizing. But this was different to Balloon. OJ didn't believe him for such petty reasons, as well as not pairing him with Suitcase until the 5th nightmare. He shouldn't accept his apology at all. They never accepted his apology when he was the one apologizing.

While Balloon wants to be the better person and forgive him anyway, something inside him makes him want to disregard OJ's apology.

He's at a loss, and suddenly, they both go quiet.

The task continues on, walking around the grocery and placing things inside the cart. OJ didn't seem to expect or want forgiveness from Balloon, which made the atmosphere less awkward. Balloon wants to forgive OJ, but at the same time, he doesn't. Ugh, what do I do?

When OJ hands Balloon a bag of chips, Balloon takes it but pokes OJ's arm in the process. He looks at the red object, raising an eyebrow. "Yeah?" Balloon stutters for a bit, shifting his feet on the ground. "Look, OJ, I accept your apology. But, I can't forgive you at the moment. I mean, I want to! But maybe not now, if that's okay?" OJ's face lights up and he nods. "Uh- y-yeah! No problem, Balloon! I mean I wasn't really expecting you to accept it, I guess I just wanted you to know that I was sorry. You know?" OJ smiles at him, placing a pack of some bread inside the cart. Balloon nods, understanding what OJ means.

Balloon was happy about OJ doing so. He really did owe him an apology. But why did Balloon still seem so unsatisfied? What the hell did he want?

The apology was so sudden as well. Was that the reason why he invited Balloon? Why couldn't have he just done it normally at the hotel without having to take them outside?

Balloon's head filled itself with questions, and a few accusations about OJ's true intentions. He didn't want to dwell on the thoughts too much, it started to make his head hurt.

They continued the shopping in silence, Balloon asking OJ a few questions here and there. Balloon kept his eyes focused on OJ, awaiting his next move. They searched around the grocery some more, OJ keeping his focus on his list. Balloon on the other hand felt bored, his hand tapping against the plastic handle on the cart. The building had a distant white noise of items clattering, carts rolling around, registers beeping.