Chapter 23

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
╔═.★.══════════╗
𝑳𝑰𝑻𝑻𝑳𝑬 𝑪𝑨𝑫𝑬𝑻
╚══════════.☆.═╝
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

You had that dream, the life Levi told you about. That kind of life in the forest, away from everyone, in a small but comfortable wooden cottage. The tranquility of the dream was only transient because when you woke up, you realized you were back to reality.

It's been months since the breach of Wall Maria, the news about the inhabitants seeking refuge in Wall Rose slowly died down, diminishing and fading, superseded by the progressive life in the Interior. You knew the people who think of themselves as nobles residing in Wall Sina had already forgotten all about the breach, about the many people who died that day and the children who were left to fend for themselves.

But you weren't one of them, you still remember the day you found out about the breach of Wall Maria and its devastating loss to humanity. Even after a few months.

You were on the balcony, sitting on the comfortable chair with the baby in your arms as you let the morning sun bathe you both.

"You like the sun, Lucas?" you asked your son who blinks occasionally and would turn his head to the sunlight. "Your name means bringer of light, such a beautiful name. Your papa chose it."

The baby looked at you, his eyes big and glinting with the light. His little arms outstretched towards you, and he makes bubbling sounds like all babies do. You lowered your hand to him and he grasped your pointing finger with his little fingers.

And then you were reminded of what happened a week ago, when you found out about Levi making that choice.

"Lucas," you called, but the baby seemed to be too entertained with fiddling with your fingers. "Don't hate papa when he tells you about the choice he made."

The baby is still playing with your fingers but for a second he stopped, and then he looked at you. He let go of your fingers and outstretched his arms towards you and you lowered down slightly until he was able to touch your cheek.

You felt a certain type of warmth spread in your chest and you felt your lips stretching in a smile.

And then you heard laughter, the laughter of children down the streets. You looked out the balcony and saw them. The children playing, laughing, without so much of a care in the world.

"One day you'd grow up like them too," you said, looking back at your son who is now looking at you silently. His eyes seem to speak words that his mouth couldn't yet say out loud.

"You know, your papa told me when you were still in my womb, he said he wants to create a world–"

"Where my kid can grow up with a smile on his face," Levi's voice came from behind, and he walked up to you.

He bent down a bit and took the baby from your arms, Lucas didn't squirm or move away, he seemed to have already familiarized himself with his father's hold.

The baby moved closer to Levi's chest while he stood there, and you were reminded of the first time you saw Levi holding the baby in his arms. It was a brief moment after you gave birth, you saw Levi near the window where the afternoon sun rays were passing through the glass, providing a golden light hours before nightfall.