Chapter 33

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
╔═.★.══════════╗
𝑳𝑰𝑻𝑻𝑳𝑬 𝑪𝑨𝑫𝑬𝑻
╚══════════.☆.═╝
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

It wasn't often Levi gets sick. He grew up in the Underground so he believed that he was immune to most of the diseases including common cough and cold. Or maybe it was just exhaustion catching up to him. He couldn't even remember the last time he was indisposed.

Levi fell asleep feeling a cloth damped in cold water pressed on his forehead. Then a few hours later he woke up to the same feeling, only it wasn't just pressed on his forehead. Someone's rubbing it gently on the side of his face which he didn't quite like.

So with instinct, he grabbed the person's wrist quite too tightly and pushed it down roughly. Judging by how thin their wrist is, Levi knew it was a woman.

"That's enough," he grumbled, his eyebrows furrowed as he slowly opened his eyes. "Petra—"

But he was cut off when his vision cleared and instead of the innocent looking young soldier girl, he saw your very familiar face looking back at him. And Levi's hold immediately loosened.

"Y/n..." he trailed, sounding unsure if it was really you he was seeing or he's just getting delirious from what probably is a high fever.

"What? Were you expecting someone else?" you asked, pulling your wrist back and surprisingly he let go. Not on purpose of course, but only because he had loosened his hold around your wrist and he didn't expect you to pull it back. "Petra, was it?"

"No," Levi said, sitting up as you stood up and put the basin on the side, your back now turned to him. "Why— When did you get here?"

He was clearly going to ask you why you were here but he managed to rephrase his question and changed its entirety because he knew the first question wouldn't sound right.

"Earlier this morning," you answered, your voice even and Levi couldn't see your expression with your back turned to him. "I arrived here and saw a female soldier taking care of her sick Captain. As far as I recall, that was beyond the scope of her duty."

"She just happened to be here."

"And I just happened to be away."

By then he heard the slightest break in your voice and he noticed the slightest slump of your shoulders before you lifted your hand and wiped the side of your face. He doesn't need you to turn around to know that a traitor tear had betrayed you and you wanted to get rid of it as fast as it fell down your face.

You continued arranging the table until you had nothing more to do and you just stood there. Then a hand grabbed your wrist gently, far too gentler than when he grabbed your wrist earlier not knowing it was you and mistaking you for someone else.

"I'm sorry I made you feel this way."

You fell back and sat on the bed beside him, still feeling the heavy weight on your chest that wouldn't go away.

"I should have called for someone else," he continued before shaking his head. "No, I shouldn't have been sick in the first place."

You couldn't help but chuckle a bit at Levi's reasoning before you finally looked at him. "It's inevitable. We get sick and we catch cold, it's proof that we're humans."