Chapter 32

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
╔═.★.══════════╗
𝑳𝑰𝑻𝑻𝑳𝑬 𝑪𝑨𝑫𝑬𝑻
╚══════════.☆.═╝
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

It was right after the ceremony, when you found yourself standing beside Erwin while the four new members of the Special Ops Squad stood around Levi. They were introducing themselves to their new Captain, their eyes full of determination.

You stood there, watching as the only woman in the group started to introduce herself. She saluted with confidence, her fist on her heart that she already offered to humanity. Levi, who didn't look half as interested earlier when the others were introducing themselves, seemed to perk up.

Or was it just your imagination?

"Y/n," Erwin called so you tore your gaze from Levi to look at your brother. "Are you going back to the Interior?"

"I just got here, why do you sound like you want me to go back to the Interior already?" you asked with jest around your tone as you smiled at Erwin who didn't return the gesture, not that you're expecting anything from him. "I'll go back tomorrow. I left Lucas with Ms. Florence, she'll watch over him for the rest of the night."

"Then, you can stay at my place," Erwin said before you could even ask and he left afterwards. You watched his retreating figure before you averted your gaze to where Levi and the others were.

They seem to be asking Levi something but you couldn't really tell what it was at that distance so you walked up to him.

"Come on Captain! To commemorate our Special Ops Squad!" the woman, Petra Ral as you recall, said in enthusiasm.

As you walked closer, it was Eld Jinn who noticed you first as he straightened up.

"May we help you?" he asked politely before you glanced at Levi who finally saw you.

You stood beside him before Levi spoke. "Everyone, this is Y/n Smith."

You waited for him to say something more, perhaps add 'my wife' but when he did not say anything, you looked at the four new members of the Special Ops Squad with a smile. Though the smile did not quite reach your eyes.

"It's nice to meet you all."

"She used to be a Squad Leader," Levi said and the four immediately stood firmly before they offered you a salute.

"Squad Leader Smith!" they all said in unison before they stood at ease.

"But... used to be?" Petra asked, though her voice sounded small and almost a whisper as you looked at her which might have flustered her as her eyes widened and shook her head. "Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to say it out loud."

"It's alright," you said with a reassuring smile. "I get that a lot when soldiers hear that I used to be a Squad Leader. Things happen, and I can't fulfill my duties as a Squad Leader for the time being."

She seemed to want to know more but you felt like stopping there and not disclosing any more than that.

"By the way, what were you all talking about? I heard something along the lines of commemorating the Special Ops Squad."

Petra Ral flushed again, since it was her who said that. Eld Jinn was the one who answered.

"We were asking Captain Levi to join us tonight for a drink. A little commemoration to mark the founding of the Special Ops Squad."