Chapter 29

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
╔═.★.══════════╗
𝑳𝑰𝑻𝑻𝑳𝑬 𝑪𝑨𝑫𝑬𝑻
╚══════════.☆.═╝
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

You were still thinking about what happened just moments ago. Why were the Military Police running after that boy and why did he seem like he knew the reason for the painter's sudden absence but chose not to tell you.

Most of all, you couldn't stop thinking about the content of the letter the painter had left for you. Why would he even leave you a letter and the boy's words also bothered you. He said you shouldn't tell anyone about what's written in the letter, otherwise you might also be in danger.

Thinking about his choice of words, someone had already been in danger because of what's written in the letter. Whatever it was, you get the feeling it is the reason why the painter left. Or did he really leave?

You've been thinking so much about it that you didn't realize you were already outside the residence and you stopped just by the door before pocketing the letter and taking a deep breath.

"Let's not think about it for now," you said, and shook your head to get rid of the thoughts racing in your mind before you opened the door and walked in.

You went to the living room but didn't see Levi and the baby. "Where could they be?"

You put the food you bought in the market on the table in the dining room before you headed upstairs. You opened the door carefully and stepped inside, and when you scanned the room your eyes landed on the chair near the window with the drapes half drawn. On the chair sat Levi, his head leaning on the side facing the window but you could tell he's asleep. The baby is also sound asleep on his chest, while Levi's hand rests on the baby's back for support.

"They look comfortable," you muttered, looking at the two with a smile on your face as you slowly forget about the letter resting in your pocket.

You walked inside and took a blanket before making your way to the two and carefully placed the blanket on them but the smallest of movements had stirred Levi. You knew he had one of the sharpest senses so you weren't really surprised when he woke up.

"Oh, you're back," he said, his voice still sounding groggy. He was about to move when you stopped him.

"You're gonna wake Lucas up."

Levi looked down on the baby who had his little thumb between his lips, his chubby cheek pressed on his dad's chest and his breathing made it clear that he was fast asleep.

"Besides you also need rest," you said, leaning closer as you spread out the blanket. "I know you don't get much sleep at night lately."

"I'm used to it."

"I know," you said before looking up at him. "That doesn't mean I'm not worried. So rest a bit more."

You've always known that he doesn't get enough sleep. Whether it was a habit he developed in the Underground or a necessity so he could do his duties as a soldier, you still think Levi had been putting a toll on himself by getting used to sleepless nights or getting barely enough sleep.

Seeing him resting like this in the morning made you less worried, because it means he's offsetting his lack of enough sleep at night.

"I'll go make lunch. I'll wake you two up when it's time to eat." You leaned down and kissed your son on the back of his head before straightening up and turning around.