Busted

Claire's pov

I ran into my bedroom and quietly closed the door before taking a seat at my desk. My heart was pounding and my chest was heaving from breathing so hard. I picked up my pencil and slid my math book and a piece of paper in front of me. I need to make it look like I've been up here the whole time, doing my homework like a good girl. First, I need to calm myself down so it's not so obvious I just sprinted up here.

I tried to slow my breathing and heart rate but I just couldn't get over what I heard on my snooping mission. How could my dad and uncle even suggest something so horrible as Aunt Lexie getting rid of her baby, my cousin, their niece or nephew? It's not possible. There's no way I could've heard what I think I heard. There's just no way. Nah ah. It can't be true, it just can't. My dad and uncle would never try to get rid of a child, let alone a baby who's not even born yet and part of this family to boot. It just doesn't make sense.

Meanwhile downstairs

Tony's pov

The three of us rushed out of the study to see who or what made the noise we each just heard. It definitely sounded to me like a person gasping. The hallway was empty, however, not a soul in sight. I was about to go find Lorenzo to question him on the staff's assignments for the day, when my little brother stopped me.

"Tony, wait," he said, bending down to retrieve something off the floor. "Look at this." He held his hand out to show me his find. "Look familiar?"

Seeing the silver earring post, I immediately turned to my sister. She opened her mouth, about to say something but suddenly stopped herself.

"Lexie, is it yours?" I asked pointedly.

Lexie's pov

I know damn well that earring backing isn't mine, which is exactly what I was about to tell my brother. I can tell it's not real silver just by looking at it, that's how I know it doesn't belong to me. It's made of nickel and I'm allergic to nickel. It either belongs to one of the servants or Claire. I have a sinking feeling it's my niece's. The servants clean this hallway everyday, making sure it's spotless.

"Alexandra?" Tony repeated, getting agitated I was taking so long to respond.

Putting on my game face, I replied, "So that's where I lost it? I've been looking for this post for three days now." I plucked it out of the palm of EJ's hand. "I better put this in my jewelry box before I forget and lose it again." I know I'm not an actress but hopefully my performance was satisfactory.

"Three days?" Tony questioned. When I nodded in affirmation, he stated his thoughts out loud, "I'll have Lorenzo speak to the cleaning staff. If these floors haven't been swept and cleaned in three days that's completely unacceptable and someone's going to lose their job."

"Is that really necessary, Brother? I'm sure it was just a minor oversight. I mean these posts are really tiny."

"Your little brother had no trouble spotting it and I'll thank you not to question my directives regarding the staff again. Sono chiaro, Sorellina (Am I clear, Little sister)?"

"Sì, Fratello, non volevo mancare di rispetto (Yes, Brother, I didn't mean to be disrespectful)." The last thing I want right now is to piss off Tony and have him question this situation any further.

Tony gave me a look indicating his displeasure before stating, "We're obviously going to have to move this discussion to a more secure location, or table it for the time being."

"I vote we table it, Brother, as I have an appointment to get to," EJ suggested, after briefly checking his phone.

"Alexandra?" Tony questioned my position on his two proposed suggestions.