Inducted

Claire's pov

"Well, that is what it means. Isn't it? Since I got my period, that makes me a woman now and that means my body is mature enough to make a baby. Right?"

"Biologically speaking perhaps, Sweetpea, but not realistically since you're not allowed to date until you're eighteen," my dad said, giving me a little squeeze as I sat perched on his lap.

"EIGHTEEN?" I questioned, quite loudly and unhappily, turning to look at him in shock. "You've got to be kidding me."

"What? No good?" my dad asked, failing to keep a straight face as he broke out in a smile.

"No, Daddy, that's no good," I said, shaking my head.

"I don't know. I thought it was quite generous. What do you think, EJ?" Dad asked, turning to my uncle.

"I'm not sure," he replied, in a gravely serious tone. "If we let her date at eighteen that only gives us around six years to save up enough money to pay some poor unsuspecting sod to take her on a pity date." My uncle winked at me and smiled. "I just don't think that'll be enough time because we're going to need a boat load of money to get the guy to agree."

I stuck my tongue out at him.

"Thanks, Uncle EJ. So not helpful as per usual."

My uncle shrugged his shoulders in response.

"We could make it twenty-one if you'd prefer, mia nipote, or never, as we could just ship you off to a convent to become a nun."

"Yeah, I don't think so," I replied, wrinkling my nose with distaste at his proposal. "Once I'm eighteen, I'll be an adult and you won't be able to tell me what to do anymore so there's no way I'm waiting until I'm twenty-one to date. Plus, I don't want to be a nun and you can't force me to become one. That would not be very Jesusy, so God wouldn't like that."

My uncle laughed hard. Way too hard. That's not a good sign, I thought. It makes me nervous. I looked to my dad to confirm or invalidate my uncle's mirth at my decree and I was quite disappointed to see him chuckling as well.

"I don't get it. What's so funny?" I demanded an explanation as I stomped my foot and crossed my arms over my chest in protest of their glib reaction.

"It's just so cute how you think you won't have to listen to us once you're legally an adult. Isn't it, fratellone (big brother)?" my uncle laughed at me, not with me, which kinda irked me, not gonna lie.

"Yes, thank you, Elliot James," my dad replied sarcastically. "Was there something you needed from me before I return to assisting my daughter with her female issue? You know, like the reason you stopped by the study to begin with," he prompted.

"Oh, right," my uncle exclaimed. "I need to know if you want me to go ahead with that deal we discussed earlier because I'm meeting up with Marco later tonight and he wants in."

"What deal?" I asked, feeling nosey

My father slapped the inside of my thigh hard, making me squeak in protest.

"Claire Francesca, what have I told you about sticking your nose into matters regarding the family business?"

"Ow, Daddy," I whined, rubbing the red area of skin on my recently assaulted leg. "You didn't have to slap me."

"Obviously I did as you must not have learned your lesson the last time you were caught eavesdropping, which was not so long ago. Now answer the question, signorina (young lady), or I'll turn you right over my knee," he replied humorlessly.

I looked at him like he had two heads.

"You can't spank me when I have my period, Daddy," I stated confidently. I mean, he can't. Right? There's gotta be some sort of unwritten rule or something. "I'm already bleeding down there. I don't think I could take anymore punishment directed in that vicinity. That would just be cruel, Daddy, and it already hurts so bad," I said, leaning forward, clutching my stomach. I remember Samantha telling me that the cramps you get during your period can get you out of all kinds of things, like swimming in gym class, doing chores around the house, and bare butt whippings.

My dad just laughed in response. He must not be aware of how serious a situation a girl having her period really is, or he wouldn't be talking nonsense.

"Little girl, if you think for one second you're going to use this as an excuse to get out of being spanked, you are in for a rude awakening. Having your period is not a get-out-of-jail-free-card. If I feel your behavior at any given moment warrants a spanking, you can bet your bottom dollar you'll be getting a spanking. Sono chiaro (Am I clear)?"

"But, Daddy, that's not fair. You don't know what it's like when you have your period and you never will. How horribly painful and debilitating it can be, not to mention it can make you say and do crazy things that you shouldn't be held accountable for. It's not right for you to punish me when I'm already suffering so much." I tried to sell it the best I could, but based on the look I was getting from my father, I didn't do a very good job.

"Uh, if I can just interrupt this eye-opening, beyond ridiculous little tête-à-tête, I really need an answer to my question, brother. Marco is waiting," my annoying uncle senselessly interrupted.

"My answer is yes, Elliot James, so you may go. I will gladly continue this conversation with mia figlia (my daughter)."

"Thank God and good luck, fratello (brother)," my uncle could be heard mumbling under his breath, on his way out.

"Do I need to bend you over my knee right now, piccola ragazza (little girl), to demonstrate just how wrong you are?" my dad asked in quite a snippy tone.

"No," I replied pouting, knowing my dad isn't going to be sympathetic to my plight, now or ever.

"I don't believe I heard you, young lady. Try your response again."

"No, sir," I replied quietly.

"That's better, bambina (baby girl). Let's head up to your aunt's room and see if she has some products in her bathroom you can use until we get you your own supply. Va bene (Ok)?"

"Si, Padre (Yes, Father)," I replied begrudgingly. There really is no benefit to having my period if it can't get me out of chores or punishments. It's honestly just a curse, a cross to bear for being born the better sex. God obviously knew men would never be able to handle bleeding out of their thingy every month, heck they couldn't even handle it for one month so he had to put that burden on us. My aunt was definitely right, women are way stronger and more powerful than men.

"That's my good girl," Dad replied, gently patting my knee. "And to show you I'm not completely unsympathetic to your plight of being inducted into womanhood, you may have your phone back, sweetpea."

"Oh thank you, Daddy," I squealed happily in delight, as he handed me my cell. Maybe I can play this card to my advantage afterall, I thought smirking slyly.

Two weeks later

As soon as I woke up Saturday morning, I FaceTimed Dante. We've been talking more often now that I've finally got my new phone and since I went to visit him with my aunt. The temporary phone Uncle EJ got me before we left Cuba could barely send texts, let alone FaceTime anyone. Ever since we moved back into the mansion, I've been begging my father relentlessly for a new iPhone. Unfortunately, it took him over a month to concede to my demands and buy me one and then I promptly got grounded from using it by my overly sensitive, irritating uncle for mouthing off. Then a couple days later, Dad grounded me from it too. I really haven't had the pleasure of spending much time with it.

"Hey," Dante answered, sexily flipping his hair out of his eyes.

"Hey, what ya up to?" I asked, smiling shyly. OMG! He's so cute. I can't believe he's my boyfriend. Well, secret boyfriend since my dad and uncle won't let me date until I'm one hundred.

"Nothin' much. Camilla's comin' over in a little bit so we can practice."

God I hate Camilla. Actually I don't hate her and that's why I hate her. She's super pretty and totally smart and really sweet and friendly. I mean she's drop dead gorgeous but not conceited at all. It's like she really has no idea all the guys drool over her and to top it off, she's an amazing athlete. She's captain of the girl's soccer team and better than ninety percent of the boy's team as well.

"Oh," I said quietly, failing to hide my disappointment. I trust Dante but I'm still totally jealous of Camilla. I'm afraid the more time he spends with her, the more he'll realize how much better she is than me, at pretty much everything.