Picnicked

Claire's pov

Luciano sat down and joined my aunt and I to partake in the delicious picnic dinner Cook prepared for us. We laughed, talked, and joked around as we ate. Maybe my aunt was right about Luciano. Maybe he is an alright guy, just a little strict. I mean he did buy me that pretty bouquet of flowers. Perhaps I misjudged him, or just judged him too harshly in the beginning.

After stuffing our faces, we laid down in the sun for a while to let our food settle. I may or may not have dozed off for a little bit and snored somewhat loudly just like my aunt, according to my new uncle. Apparently Luciano didn't nap since we were being so noisy. At least that's what he said. I think he was joking.

"Why don't you help me get all this packed up and then we can go for a nice long walk on the trails and look at all the beautiful trees," my aunt asked me, gesturing to the massive array of half-eaten food strewn across the blankets.

"Uhhhnnn," I whined. "I don't want to clean it all up. That's too much work." I tend to get crabby after a nap. I'm not one of those people who can sleep for thirty minutes and wake-up refreshed and super energized.

Getting to his feet, my new uncle towered over me with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Your aunt asked for your assistance and you will happily provide it to her. Sono chiaro (Am I clear)?" He kept his tone level but it was quite obvious he was annoyed with my refusal to help.

What I wanted to say was, then why don't you help her clean it up since you didn't assist in getting it all set up, but I didn't. I did, however, unwisely voice my objection out loud.

"Ugghhh! Seriously? Why do I have to do everything?" I muttered the last part under my breath, but apparently not soft enough.

"Excuse me!" my uncle sternly threatened, as he grabbed my arm and forcefully brought me to my feet. He pulled me to a spot a few yards away. Now stood directly in front of him, he maintained his death grip on my bicep as he coldly stated, "I don't believe I heard you. Would you like to repeat your response to my face this time?"

"Luciano, it's..." my aunt started to say, before he silenced her by holding up his hand.

"I'm waiting, signorina (young lady), but I must warn you my patience with your less than stellar attitude is wearing thin, so choose your words carefully."

I gulped, attempting to swallow the large lump in my throat. My new uncle is truly terrifying when he's pissed and he is definitely pissed right now.

"I'll help my aunt clean-up now. Please let go of my arm, Uncle Luciano," I replied meekly.

His eyes immediately darkened to a coal black upon hearing me call him Uncle Luciano.

Leaning down to whisper in my ear he replied, "I don't appreciate you giving your aunt a hard time. You should be doing everything you can right now to make her life easier in her current condition. Sono chiaro (Am I clear)?"

I nodded my head, too afraid to speak right now. My mouth was really dry and my new uncle's cold demeanor had me close to tears.

Gripping my arm even tighter, he hissed quietly in my ear so my aunt wouldn't hear, "You will answer me verbally and the only answer I will accept out of your smart mouth right now is yes sir, so I suggest you try that again."

He was holding onto my arm so tightly, I swear it was gonna leave a bruise.

"Yes sir," I replied softly, fighting back the tears that were threatening to fall.

"That's better. I will not have this conversation with you again. Next time we'll go straight to consequences." Before letting go of me, he vigorously rubbed the spot on my arm he'd been gripping so tightly.