Dressed

Lexie's pov

"You leave that to me, sweetheart. I'll make sure we get to the judge's office on time," I told Claire, as I stood up to leave. "You just go about your regular routine and I'll come in here and wake you when it's time to go."

"I didn't even know you could get married at midnight," my niece replied in surprise. "I never would've guessed a judge would work that late."

I chuckled as I brushed her hair back.

"The Mayor will be performing the civil ceremony, sweetheart, not a judge and you're right, normally he doesn't work that late but Luciano has a lot of connections and this particular official owes him a favor."

"Why don't you want Uncle EJ and Dad to be at the wedding? I'm sure they would want to be there to see you get married."

I sighed sadly and fought back tears as I looked at Claire's sweet wholesome face. There is no way I can tell her what's really going on between our family and Luciano's, well what's left of his family which is just him and this squirmy little one in my uterus. That is the one thing Tony, EJ, and I actually agree on. We want to protect Claire's innocent childlike nature for as long as possible. We each made that promise to our father before he was killed. So how am I going to explain this to her? God I hate lying to her, but in this case I think it's unavoidable.

"Well, I'm sure your dad and uncle don't want to be woken up at midnight to see a boring old quickie wedding ceremony at the Town Hall performed by the Mayor. Plus, I kinda want this to be a special moment for us to share as girls and it can be a surprise for the stinky old boys later. Va bene (Ok)?"

Claire giggled, "Boys are stinky. Aren't they?"

"They sure can be, sweetie."

"Okay, Aunt Lexie, this will just be between us."

Later that night

Claire's pov

My aunt came into my room around 11:15pm and woke me up. She had a change of clothes packed for me so I left in my pajamas. Aunt Lexie was going to change into her wedding dress when we got to the Town Hall so I knew I could change then too. We took her car and she drove so none of Father's drivers would know where we were going. My aunt's fiance, Luciano, was meeting us there.

"After the ceremony can I call Luciano Uncle Luciano, Aunt Lexie?"

"Sure, baby. I would like that," she replied smiling, as she reached over to gently squeeze my hand.

"Is he gonna move in with us? Cuz I really don't want you to leave, Aunt Lexie. I love living with you. I missed that so much while you were in California and I was stuck here without you or dad and especially when you went away recently. I would hate it if you moved out." I turned my head away from her towards the window as my voice caught and I started to tear-up. "Please don't leave me again," I practically whispered, as I got all choked up thinking about having to say goodbye to my aunt again.

"Oh, tesoro (honey), don't cry." Aunt Lexie patted my thigh. "Luciano and I have discussed it already and he's agreed to move into the mansion so we can raise the baby there together. He knows I have no plans to move out, Claire. I made a promise to your grandfather before he died that I would live in his home with your father and uncle so we could raise you together and I have no intention of breaking my word, mia nipote (my niece). Capisci (Understand)?"

"Si, Zia, ho capisco (Yes, Aunt, I understand)," I answered through my sniffles, as I tried to stop crying. "As long as you promise not to move out, I believe you."

"I promise, bambina (baby girl). Don't you fret. I wouldn't leave you alone with my brothers. I know how irritating they can be." Aunt Lexie smiled as she pinched my cheek.