Distressed

Lexie's pov

While Claire played down by the creek, Luciano excused himself to answer a call, and smoke another cigarette, I'm sure. When he returned to the table a few minutes later and sat down, it was obvious he was in a bad mood. I would ask him if his call didn't go well but I've learned not to question him about his business matters.

Instead, I generically questioned, "You okay, sweetie? You seem tense." I started gently rubbing his shoulders.

"No, I'm not okay, Alexandra. Do I look and sound like I'm okay?" he questioned angrily, rhetorically. He twisted away from me so I would stop massaging him.

"No, I'm sorry, darling, I didn't mean to upset you. I just worry about you that's all," I replied softly, putting my hand atop his.

Ripping his hand away, he stood up and shouted, "Well don't. I don't need your pity."

"It's not pity, Luciano, it's concern. There's a difference." I spoke softly to let him know I sincerely and genuinely care about him and how he's feeling.

His tone, on the other hand, was razor sharp.

"Don't sass me. I don't appreciate your backtalk. You must get that from your lippy niece."

"I'm not sassing you. I'm just trying to explain to you that caring about how you're feeling doesn't mean I'm pitying you."

"You think I don't know that? Do you think I'm stupid? What do you think, because you're a doctor you're the only one who knows anything? You think you're smarter than me and I'm some sorta idiot, don't you?"

"No, of course not, honey," I replied calmly, trying not to escalate the situation. Luciano has a bit of a temper and when it flares, you don't want to be on the receiving end of it, believe me. "Please sit down so we may talk." I gently placed my hand on his forearm to encourage him to sit down again.

"Don't try to placate me," he replied angrily, as he swatted my hand off his arm. "I'm not a child."

"I know you're not a child, Luciano. Please just sit down so we may talk calmly, rationally. Ok?"

"I am calm, darling. Believe me when I say you would know if I wasn't." Taking a seat next to me once again, he looked at me and angrily accused, "Don't try to make me out to be some kind of monster. I've never been anything but good to you. Didn't I buy you those beautiful flowers today?"

"Yes, honey, the bouquet is gorgeous and I love it." I smiled warmly at him. "I would never think of you as a monster. You're a wonderful man and a wonderful husband and I love you very much," I replied calmly, keeping my voice level. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of trying to hold his hand again, which apparently set him off.

"QUIT PATRONIZING ME! I am not one of your sick patients and I am not a child. Quit acting like you're so damn superior to me, Alexandra!" he shouted, slamming his hands down on the table so hard, I flinched out of fear.

"I know you're not a child, Luciano. I never..."

"Then quit trying to micromanage me. If you're so interested in managing someone, why don't you try keeping your brat of a niece in line for once?"

"Luciano, please," I practically whispered. I hate when he speaks poorly of my family but I can understand where his anger is coming from. My brothers are singlehandedly responsible for wiping out nearly his entire bloodline, afterall. Family is, and always will be, a sore subject with him.

"I hope you know once I fully move into your family's mansion with you, I won't put up with her insolence and disrespect. If you and your feeble brothers won't keep her in line, I surely will. And don't even think about raising our child with no structure or discipline because that's never going to happen. Our son or daughter will learn to be respectful from day one, I assure you."