Snapped

Claire's pov

"Every second you make me wait for you, adds on strokes, little one, and you're accumulating quite the tally." My uncle glared at me sternly. "Come here now!" he ordered, snapping and pointing to the spot at his feet.

Hastily wiping the falling tears from my cheeks with the back of my hand, I set my shabby stuffed bunny down and reluctantly made my way over to my uncle. I swallowed the enormous lump in my throat as I stared at his handcrafted A. Testoni ridiculously expensive brown leather dress shoes.

"Eyes up here," he snapped harshly.

I really don't like crying in front of him, even though I've probably done it a hundred times before. Hesitantly, I met his gaze, instantly regretting it upon seeing the cold determined look locked behind his dark orbs.

"Please," I whined quietly, pathetically.

"Bend over, touch your toes, and close your eyes. If you dare reach back, Francesca, I will belt your hands without hesitation. Capiscimi (Understand me)?"

I nodded, too afraid to speak.

"Bend!" he barked forcefully.

Wiping my runny nose on my arm, I did as my uncle instructed, bending over watching my tears drip indeterminately on the floor before squeezing my eyes shut tightly in anticipation of my punishment.

I jerked reflexively when my uncle gently tapped his belt against my bum. Next thing I know, I'm being lifted off the ground by one of my belt loops as my uncle wraps his arm around my waist and tosses me on the bed, all the while giggling like a little schoolgirl.

"God, you make this so easy, mia nipote (my niece). It's not even remotely challenging anymore."

"Wha..." I started to question in protest, as I righted myself on the bed, until I quickly realized there was no point. My stupid, immature, asshole of an uncle was just playing a trick on me.

"Your father never heard you slam your door. He took off as soon as you ran upstairs. He practically barreled me over on his way out. You must have pissed him off good, ragazzina (little girl). You'll have to teach me your secret someday."

Still breathing heavily over my near death experience, I frowned at my idiot uncle.

"So all that was for nothing?" I questioned angrily. "Do you think that was funny?" I asked, totally butt hurt at being made a laughingstock, again.

"Yeah, it was comedy gold, mia nipote (my niece). You should have seen your face when I started to unbuckle my belt. Priceless," he said, continuing to laugh at my expense. "Don't be such a sour puss. You should be thanking me for being so benevolent."

"I'm not in the mood, Uncle EJ," I grouched, picking up my stuffed bunny so I could rub his ears.

"Want to talk about what got you upset enough to slam your door?" he asked with genuine concern, as he put his amateur comedy routine to rest to don his grown-up hat and big boy pants.

"No, cuz you're one of the people I'm mad at too. You lied to me, just like everybody else."

"I lie to you all the time, mia nipote (my niece), like when I tell you how smart and witty and talented you are." My uncle winked at me and smiled, disarming some of my anger and resentment. Sitting down next to me on the bed, he joked, "And don't forget, I lie for a living so you're going to need to be more specific, luv."

"You never say any of those nice things about me," I faux protested, as I tried not to smile. My uncle's an asshole and an idiot at times, but I still love him and crave his affection and approval.