Shifted

Lexie's pov

Approaching us with a strideful purpose, Tony continued dictating his preferred course of action. "How about I go speak to my daughter and discipline her as I see fit before I return to do the same with my two disobedient, dishonest younger siblings?"

EJ and I both knew he wasn't actually asking our opinion, so we remained silent.

"Nothing? No comments from the co-conspirators?"

"Tony, we're sorry, we didn't..." I started to apologize, but my older brother cut me off.

"SAVE IT, LEXIE! I ought to slap both your lying mouths right now but I'm trying very hard to rein in my temper. Give me the earring backing." Tony's nostrils flared, and the veins in his neck and forehead bulged, showing clear signs of the depths of his anger. "You both knew it was Claire who was listening in on our conversation and you both chose to hide it from me. We will, without a doubt, discuss your consequences for choosing to deceive me, later tonight. Until then, I suggest you get to your meeting, Elliot James, and, Alexandra, you will explain to Lorenzo and the rest of the cleaning staff why he should take back the harsh admonishments he just delivered to them based on the erroneous information I was spoonfed by my disingenuous siblings!"

EJ and I both replied, "Si signore (Yes sir)," in response to his expectant glare. I don't think I've ever seen Tony this upset before. He's really furious.

"Get out of my sight! I will deal with the two of you later. Right now I need to go upstairs and handle my daughter."

Tony's pov

I rushed upstairs intending to confront Claire about her behavior but as soon as I opened her bedroom door, my priorities shifted. She was curled up in a ball on her bed, hugging her knees to her chest as she cried her little eyes out. Her favorite stuffed bunny was acting as a makeshift pillow atop her knees as she rested her head on its worn little body. Wanting nothing more than to comfort her in this moment, I rushed to her side and immediately embraced her.

"Sweetpea, please don't cry. Tell me what's the matter."

"I _I_I h_heard wh_what you and Un_Uncle EJ s_said," she sputtered out, through her hysterical crying.

I continued to rock and soothe her, hoping she'd calm down enough so we could have a conversation. After three or four more minutes of holding and shushing her, I felt her begin to relax in my arms. Her body became less stiff and her little hiccups came at longer intervals between her sniffling.

"Are you calm enough now to tell me what you heard that made you so upset, bambina (baby girl)?" I asked, as I rubbed her back.

"You guys want Aunt Lexie to give the baby up for adoption," she replied sadly, rubbing her bunny's shabby little ears.

"Now when did we ever tell you that, mia figlia (my daughter)?" I eyed her closely, watching the wheels spin in her overactive mind. Thank God that's how she interpreted our decree to get rid of her aunt's baby.

Realizing she'd have to admit to eavesdropping if she told the truth, she kept her head lowered as she silently weighed her options.

"I believe this belongs to you, piccola ragazza (little girl)," I said, pulling the earring backing out of my pocket and holding it out to her in the palm of my hand.

"Dad, I..." she started to say, before I cut her off.

"Choose your words very carefully, Claire Francesca." I cocked one eyebrow at my disobedient daughter. "I want the truth." I paused to tilt her chin up to look me in the eye. "No, actually I demand it, little one."