Confronted

Later that week

Tony's pov

I still feel bad for punishing Claire for telling Luciano she didn't have to listen to him, before getting her side of the story. She never did say anything to me about it. Elliot James was the one to tell me and Lexie what really happened. When I apologized to my daughter, she remained stubborn and moody, essentially completely brushing me off. I guess I can understand why she feels that way. I mean, I couldn't un-spank her, afterall. She wasn't too interested in hearing her aunt's apology either. Based on Claire's attitude and behavior lately, she's been capitalizing on our guilt ever since.

Taking a break from what I was currently working on in the office, I went downstairs to stretch my legs and pour myself a drink. About halfway down the staircase, I could make out the sounds of two people in the midst of a rather heated argument. Pausing at the bottom step, I determined the participants to be my angry little brother and my mouthy pre-teen daughter.

From what I could piece together, EJ was admonishing Claire for not finishing her homework and she was trying to dismiss his concerns. I stood silently in the doorway of the living room listening in, unbeknownst to either party. Claire was preoccupied with her phone and EJ had his back to me. I'm sure as soon as they're alerted to my presence, they'll both clam up pretty quickly, knowing I'll assume control of the situation.

"I already told you I'll do my homework later, Uncle EJ. Why can't you just leave me alone, already?" Claire declared, with quite a bit of attitude in both her tone and body language.

Before stepping in to correct her, I decided to move out of their line of sight, and wait a moment to hear my brother's response. I know he and Claire grew quite close during the time I was in hiding and even closer once they went on the run together. Neither of them lets me see that side of their relationship though. I'm not exactly sure why.

I think Claire feels guilty for viewing her uncle as a stand-in father during our time apart and I have a feeling my baby brother doesn't want me to view him as weak for caring so deeply about his niece's well-being. I find that line of thinking to be absurd, ludicrous even, in either scenario, but I don't want to come off as uncaring by dismissing their feelings. I don't even know if my assessment is accurate, afterall.

"We both know, if you wait until later, you'll come up with some bullshit excuse as to why you can't get it done then." Gesturing dramatically, he mimicked in a whiny tone, "I'm too tired. I'm hungry. I'm thirsty. Wah, wah, wah."

"You're crazy and I don't sound like that," my daughter protested, one hand on her hip, the other clutching her phone.

"You know I'm right, brat, just admit it."

"Whatever," she scoffed. "I'm going outside to practice my soccer moves. Later loser," my daughter replied dismissively, and rather rudely to boot. Brushing past her uncle, her eyes again focused solely on her phone, my daughter failed to notice my presence until I purposefully cleared my throat.

"DAD!" she gulped, swallowing hard, quite surprised to now see me blocking her path.

"You're not going anywhere, mia cara ragazza (my dear girl)," I ordered sternly, as I plucked her phone out of her hand and ceremoniously placed it in the breast pocket of my dress shirt.

"Dad, I..." my daughter began to explain, until I held up my hand to stop her.

"Quale sembra essere il problema qui, fratellino (What seems to be the problem here, little brother)? I asked EJ, while keeping my eyes on my daughter.

Clearly still agitated from the encounter he'd just had with her, he exhaled forcefully and shook his head while simultaneously rolling his eyes.

"As usual, your daughter doesn't want to listen." Nostrils flared, hands on his hips, he glared at Claire. "I know she has homework to complete and I simply instructed her to get it done but..."