Chapter Seventeen

FLARE

As the person caught up with Luna, they began running side by side together. Hissing filled the desert, the Heatling grew curious. Would they make it or get eaten alive? He didn't know which one he would prefer. He didn't mind if the girl didn't survive, although he would be disappointed that he never got to fight her. As the figure approached, Flare noticed his appearance.

He was tall.

Taller than himself and the Icee. Had a good build and looked gargantuan beside the Nightling's miniature form. A tail flagged behind him as he ran. Flare realized with a snarl that it had a barb at the end.

This was a Scorpian.

He had short sand colored hair, two small hoop earrings in his right ear. The most noticeable thing about him besides his height was his burning golden irises framed with black outlining his eyes. He had a tawny skin tone and freckles splashed his cheeks and nose. When they arrived underneath the tent (to the Heatling's disappointment), the Scorpian's toned body was covered in sweat. Flare doubted that it was from exhaustion, more like the fact that he was probably scared of dying.

The prince's crimson eye landed on his clothing. He wore loose pants and a black tank top. He was covered in ash.

Must be from a fire. He mused.

"You're crazy," the Icee shook his head at the Nightling for stupidly running into the desert.

"You should be saying that to the person screaming like a maniac through the desert." she replied, pointing a thumb at the tall Scorpian standing beside her.

"Hey, it was for a good reason!" He argued.

As if just noticing what he was, the Icee's ears pressed flat against his head and drew his lips back in a snarl. The Scorpian ignored him and instead asked, "what are three kids doing in a desert they don't belong in?" Although he sounded calm, the Scorpian scowled and raised his tail in a striking position.

Flare raised an eyebrow, there was something not quite right about this bastard. His tail didn't curl in just right. Then he just realized with a frown that he was missing an arm.

The Icee stood down, knowing well that this was the Scorpian's domain. Instead, he observed what the merchants were selling, keeping an eye on the tall man with a scorpion tail.

"An Icee in the desert," the Scorpian smirked, putting his only arm on his hip. "That's a thing now."

"We're travelers." The Nightling answered, putting her hands in her pockets.

He shifted his yellow gaze to her. "It's also kinda rare to see a Nightling and Heatling under the same tent." He nudged his chin in Flare's direction. Flare pasted a menacing smile on his face, as if threatening to strangle the Scorpian when he sleeps.

"Wait. How'd you know that I'm a Nightling?" The Nightling asked.

"Those eyes aren't Nightling, but I can still tell." The Scorpian replied.

"You seem...very pretty chill with that." The Nightling said, her voice losing the hostility that once filled it. As their conversation started to bore him, Flare turned to the Icee, seeking entertainment.

The light-haired wolf was gazing interestedly at a golden armband. Although the Heatling seriously doubted it was real gold. After purchasing, he pulled it high up on his forearm. Then tossed something to Flare, in which he effortlessly caught.

It was the same golden armband with the same scorpion symbol. He sent the Icee a skeptical look. "As long as you don't burn us up, I'm cool." he smiled, then laughed at his accidental pun. When Flare was sure no one was looking, he pulled on the armband to see how it would look. It went with his outfit nicely, looking dashing against his caramel skin.

He thought with a smirk how terrible it looked on the Icee, with his turquoise hair and snow white skin.

Flare sat down, it had been an exhausting day. After half an hour or so, the Scorpian fell asleep. The Nightling sat down beside Flare, making him scoot away a few inches. He didn't want to get her Nightling germs.

"There's something off about that Scorpian." The Icee observed, sitting down as well.

"Not to mention the ash on his clothes." The Nightling agreed, but looked specifically at Flare.

"What?" The Heatling spat.

"You're the fire expert." The Icee pointed out.

"I don't care two bits about a disfigured Scorpian covered in dust." He wrinkled his nose at the wolf.

"Well...what if Scorpians are in a fight with Heatlings?" Sleet insisted.

"Let them all get STABBED for all I care." Flare thundered, a smirk tugged at his lips. The Nightling flinched as the Icee scowled.

"What kind of prince are you?! Have you no sense of loyalty to your tribe?!" He barked.

"I should be asking you that." Flare folded in his legs calmly. " Aren't you the one who abandoned your home to join that grotesque creature?" he pointed at the Nightling.

The Icee's face darkened. "You don't know anything about me." He bared his fangs.

Flare grinned maliciously.

He was eager to find out what it was like to go up against an Icee...