Chapter Twenty-One (part three)

ZODIAC

He was told to run. Which was ludicrous, Zodiac was the best fighter amongst the assassins. Mother told him that it was dangerous for him to be in the wrong hands. Whatever that meant. People shouted as there was fire and ice everywhere.

Pathetic.

He entered the forest that surrounded the camp on all sides. Yin was hit with an ice shard so mother went to find her. Zodiac scoffed, he could've dodge the projectile with ease.

He noticed a strange presence in the camp before the attack. One that had him drawn to the prisoner's tent. It had disappeared before he arrived, of course. Even after questioning the prisoners, they were of zero help. Even after ripping off that loquacious Scorpian's tail off, scale by scale, she still refused to speak. Whatever the presence was, Zodiac wanted to snuff it out. He had enough of hearing voices already.

Come to us. They would seeth. It is time.

It was probably a mistake to inform his parents at age eight, for they brought him to the Clan of Sin's leader himself. A savage bastard he was. Even after, the voices refused to cease with their nagging.

We crave the blood, we crave the freedom. They giggled gleefully most nights. But not this night, nor have they since the assassins entered the forest.

Zodiac bit the inside of his cheek, boredom began to fill him as always. Boredom and indifference.

But not several minutes ago. Not with the presence sending a thrum through him, like a string plucked on a lute.

Like calls to like. Mother always said, As did the lightning and thunder.

Which one am I? Child Zodiac would ask. Mother smiled.

You are a force of nature, the lightning that is both beautiful and dangerous. Create beauty or destroy it. It's your choice.

And my like? He inquired, all those years ago.

The thunder, though no one will see it coming. They are a force to be reckoned with.