Chapter 3. Knowledge Citadel

People were lazily coming out of the building, talking and laughing. Jackie stood alone beneath the shade of a willow tree, waiting for the teacher. Finally, Don came onto the yard and clapped his hands. The cadets all stood in a straight line, their arms down.

"Well, rookies, welcome to the Guardian Academy of Middle Lake city!" he said.

The cadets nodded in synchronization.

"We learn something new every day, and today is your first lesson," Don said. "The most important lesson in your guardian career. So, everyone must act using their Gifts, as real guardians do. The victim was put asleep, and she has been hidden somewhere in the building. Your task is to find where she is before the time is up. There are two rules - not to leave this building until the mission is over and not to hurt each other with your power. The team who finds Elisa first will win."

They all received a little crystal of time connected to the rope. Jackie put the rope on her neck and hid the crystal under her shirt. Then they were split into three groups, three to four people each. Jackie appeared to be in the same group as Urchin.

"Me and you again, huh?" He chuckled.

Jackie gave him a weary look. "Listen, I don't even know your name-"

"Howard," he interrupted.

"You know what, Urchin fits you more!" Jackie smiled.

"Urchin, exactly!" One of the guys said.

"Agreed," the second one supported.

"Oh, it seems you've just got a nickname," Jackie teased him.

He swung his arm. "Can we just forget about it?"

"No way." Jackie moved her index finger up. "I bet that from now on, people will call you Urchin for the rest of your guardian career." She laughed, and the rest of the group joined her.

He snorted and walked to the building.

At 9 in the morning, the crystal of time took a gentle violet color, and the quest had begun. Jackie and the guys reached the lobby first. After receiving an envelope, Urchin opened it, and they read the letter in silence, not giving the other team a single clue. It literally said:

     "Team #1.

Knowledge is a great power,

I can be found in the library."

As a bunch of brainless rookies, as Don called them, they ran in the direction of a library that was on the second floor. When they approached the stairs, Jackie glanced back - the other team ran to the opposite side. She frowned. It was suspicious, but there wasn't enough time to think about this illogical movement. Thus, they ran to the citadel of knowledge.

* * * * *

Inside, she looked around and held her breath. The library was a tremendous place with a tall ceiling. The shelves full of books covered all the walls, and there were several square pillars in the middle covered with bookshelves. The front pillar itself kept the knowledge of generations of mages. Jackie bet all human history might be kept here, in this library, with all its secrets and all possible Gifts and magic spells. Knowledge was a great power, and she decided to come here as often as possible to learn more.

Someone clapped his hands, and she turned back. It was Urchin, and now he was surrounded by the other guys. He took a leading role, and he obviously enjoyed it. "Guys, let's think together. Don said we must work as a team to find the victim!"