Chapter 23. Mind Games

The sky became grey in the early hour, and Jackie opened her eyes. Elisa sat on her bed in her nightgown, looking out the window. Jackie wrapped herself in a blanket and sat up. Her head spun.

"Why don't you sleep?" Jackie asked. Her voice was hoarse.

Elisa turned to her. "I was thinking."

"All night?"

She nodded.

Jackie leaned on the wall and kept staring at her, her heart burning.

Elisa turned her face back to the window. The sounds of the first carriages filled the street. Some farmers were probably hurrying to set up their goods on a trade street. Jackie took a teacup from her nightstand. Mint. My favorite. Elisa must have prepared a cup of tea for her, and Jackie was damn thirsty. She drank it to the bottom.

Elisa watched her with sadness in her beautiful dark-blue eyes.

"What did you think about?" Jackie asked, putting the empty cup on her nightstand.

Elisa sighed. "Of you."

Her heart sank. Elisa played with her like a cat with a silly mouse. "Tell me," Jackie insisted.

"I don't want to talk about it," she replied.

Jackie tightly squeezed her blanket so her knuckles became almost white. It was enough. She stood up. "Then let's play another game."

Elisa raised her eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

Jackie sat on her bed in front of her. "We won't talk; we'll show instead."

"Didn't we have enough charades last night?"

Instead of answering, Jackie kept teasing her. "Are you afraid of something?"

"No!" She sneered.

Jackie raised her hand. "Then let's do it."

She moved closer and clapped her palm. "Deal."

Jackie looked into her eyes, smiling. It was effortless to hook her up. Now, she must be careful not to scare her away.

"Who goes first?" Elisa asked.

"You. Ask any question, and I'll answer without words."

"Fine." Elisa shrugged her shoulders. "How drunk are you right now?"

Jackie raised her hand and put her thumb to her index finger, then slowly moved them apart until it was an inch between them.

"Really?" she narrowed her eyes.

Jackie smiled and made it two inches.

They burst out laughing.

"Ok, my turn," Jackie said when her breath soothed.

Elisa's eyes sparkled. "Go ahead."

"How badly do you want me?"

She looked at her without blinking. Jackie waited. Elisa Palmer, she thought, brave with men and damn scared with women. Who knew what was going on in her mysterious head?

They were supposed to leave for summer training the next day, and Jackie wouldn't see her for three months. But they were here and now, sitting next to each other. Jackie was at the edge. She was pretty sure Elisa would push her away. At the same time, it would end her silly hopes. She was ready to hear all the ugly truth and face the unpleasant rejection because she couldn't bear her feelings anymore.

Instead, Elisa hugged her shoulders and kissed her.

Her lips were soft and tender, and she melted in her embrace. When she leaned back, Jackie opened her mouth, trying to tell her about everything she had kept hidden.