Chapter 25. Miss and Mister Chillicothe

The guardian house appeared to be gorgeous not only from the outside. In the wide corridor, their steps echoed over black marble floors. Theo walked along the walls, marveling at the paintings in golden frames - the scenes from the guardian's life. The men in black uniforms stood on different backgrounds, using their magic. One of the guardians had a Lightning Gift, like Elisa. Some moved the subjects with the power of the mind - it was Telekinesis, the most popular Gift among all mages. Then he found a guy who held a ring of fire in his arms.

"Look, it's me," he whispered to Jackie.

"Impressive." She looked around. "I don't see my Gift here. It's probably hard to put it on a picture."

"Actually, mind-reading Gifts are rare among men."

She raised her eyebrows. "How come?"

"Just biology. It's popular among females because of your nature - women are more empathic."

She nodded. "Oh, right. Now I remember - once Laura explained to me how it works. She said that men are more likely to have strong destructive Gifts - to fight and protect."

"Exactly." He turned to the pictures. And why must everyone mention Laura?

Jackie touched his elbow. "Sorry."

"For what?"

"You always pull a face when someone says her name."

He frowned. No, Jackie couldn't read his thoughts without his permission. Then he must really take himself under control.

"Let's just focus on this mission, OK?"

"Sounds good to me." He nodded. "I've heard that the guardian chief is strict."

"He isn't that bad." Jackie's cheeks suddenly blushed. "You'll see."

Does she know a chief? Theo wondered but kept this question to himself. After all, he had plenty of time to figure it out.

The corridor ended, and the guardians who followed them opened the massive door. They walked inside a round hall where a dozen guardians sat around the long table. A grey-haired man with intelligent blue eyes was waiting for them at the end of the table.

"Welcome," he said.

It was Trevor Harland, the chief of the Guardian House and one of the most powerful men in the capital. Less than anything, Theo wanted to let him down. Pressing his hand to his chest, he bowed as a gesture of respect.

Then they took their seats and prepared to listen to the plan. The guardians around looked at them with curiosity, mostly at Jackie. One of them was Walter Mills, the man who had shaken his hand this morning. He was sitting next to the chief now, and Theo assumed he had an essential role in this mission.

"So," Trevor said to the guardians, "Here are the fresh guardians for our secret operation. Jacqueline Robinson, a mind reader, and Theodore Thomas, who has a Gift of Fire."

One of the guardians glanced at her. "With all my respect, chief, is it the only mind reader around?"

Jackie gave her opponent a sharp look. "It's not my fault that Mind Reading Gifts are rare among men. Women are more empathic; didn't you know that?"

He sneered and shook his head.

Satisfied, she glanced at Theo. He gave her an encouraging smile

"That's correct," Chief Trevor said to the guardian. "And it's actually good for our investigation to have a woman. No one would think she is working for us."