Chapter 8. The Truce

Theo slowly opened his eyes. The last thing he remembered was standing by the fire and messing with Sparkle, and then everything went blank. Now he was lying on the ground beneath a big tree. The branches above were covered with a web made of ropes, and now these ropes shone with bright green color-the trap. And judging by the pattern, this trap was made with his hands. It was unbelievable that people who attacked them found it and used it against them.

He lay quietly, listening to every sound. The air was fresh and rich with the fragrance of raw leaves. The glimpses of the burning fire played on the leaves above. Two people were at the fire, and now they were quietly discussing something. And one of the voices belonged to... Urchin. What a betrayal!

"Lying bastard." He whispered. "You'll pay for this."

Someone moaned at his left, and Theo turned his head. Elisa was lying nearby with her eyes shut. He moved closer to check the pulse on her neck. Please, be all right.

She opened her eyes, and her face took a puzzled expression.

"It seems they caught us," he clarified, trying to make his voice as calm as possible. "Be quiet."

"Oh, shit." She pressed her palm to her forehead to soothe her dizziness. "That's all I need now. Who the hell are they? Forest thieves?"

He sighed. "I'm afraid it's our friends."

"What?!" She sat up and rubbed her eyes, refusing to believe them. But he was right - Jackie and Urchin sat on a cozy blanket, holding steaming mugs. Now they noticed she was awake, so they watched her silently.

Elisa stood up but couldn't take a step forward - the invisible wall held her under the tree. Only now did she notice that she was barefoot. Her guardian boots with unique protective soles that could let her step over any trap now rested at the fire. Theo's boots were near hers. Obviously, they were trapped well.

"What the fuck, guys?" She shouted. "Let me out of here!"

They exchanged glances, and Jackie gave her an apologetic look. "I'm sorry, but it can't last any longer."

Elisa narrowed her eyes. "As well as our friendship."

"Elisa, please -"

"And how can I ever trust you?" Elisa placed her palm on the invisible wall and concentrated on her power. Of course, no magic came out. Despaired, she kicked the invisible wall of the trap. "Take it off! Now!"

Theo gave them a weary look. "The trap is based on your spell, I guess."

"Exactly." Urchin nodded.

Theo scoffed and shifted his eyes at Elisa. "Then it would last for five, maximum six hours. By sunrise, we'll be free."

Elisa glanced at her time crystal. Now it shone purple, which meant it was just 9 in the evening. She gasped. "And how will I handle you until sunrise?"

"How about you shut up?" He suggested.

She clenched her fists. "If you think I'm helpless without my power, you're wrong."

"Are you gonna bite me?" He laughed. "I don't think I'd mind it."

Elisa took a deep breath, making a bitterness of irritation roll down her stomach.

Catching Jackie's gaze, Urchin stood up and came to the trap. "Guys, please calm down. We all came here for the same purpose -"

"Not really," Elisa replied calmly. "You followed us because of Jackie."