Chapter 24. A Chosen One

Downstairs, everyone sat at the big table and got the rest of their morning tea and coffee. Jackie fixed her black silk scarf that covered her neck and walked to where Elisa put a plate with oatmeal for her. She took a seat.

"You look shitty, Jack," one of the guys said.

Instead of replying, she grabbed a spoon of cold porridge and put it in her mouth. Then she raised her eyes. It was Simon, the most annoying guy in their group.

"Oh, shut up," Jackie said.

The guys around giggled.

"Come on, we all had a good time last night," Elisa said.

Jackie gave her a gaze full of disappointment. "Yes, I remember."

She narrowed her eyes, and Jackie looked into them without blinking. "I remember everything," she repeated.

"Like, everything?" Elisa asked.

She nodded. Then Howard pulled her elbow, and Jackie shifted her eyes to him.

"The ceremony is in five minutes," he said.

She ate another spoon. "Which ceremony are you guys talking about?"

"Someone has a serious memory problem," Howard chuckled.

Jackie laughed. Probably she looked awkward, but she couldn't stop laughing. Her eyes filled with tears.

Elisa gave her handkerchief. "We will give our guardian oaths. Then we must go upstairs and talk."

"Why talk?" Jackie wiped her face. "You've already said it was just fun, and I agreed."

Elisa tried to pat her shoulder, but Jackie pushed her hand away. "Enough lies."

Elisa didn't reply. The blush covered her cheeks, and her breath became heavy.

One of the guys laughed. "Ouch, the girls are having an issue here!"

"That's interesting to watch," another one said.

Jackie dropped her spoon and stood up. "No one has an issue! The ceremony is in five minutes, and I'll be there."

Howard stood up. "Let's go then."

* * * * *

They stood in a line in the spacious yard - thirty-six student guardians, including two women. In the Academy, the cadets had just completed their freshman year. In the future, they could become detectives, lawyers, or engineers who would create potions and spells.

The 'special mission' was supposed to start right after the ceremony, and Jackie raised her eyes to the cloudy sky, hoping they would choose Elisa. It would postpone their conversation and give her enough time to think about what to do next.

Jackie looked to her left. Elisa stood at the opposite side of the yard. When their eyes met, Elisa turned away. Jackie clenched her teeth. Damn, she was angry at her. Elisa told her nothing about last night, and Jackie doubted she ever planned to open.

With her fingertips, Jackie touched her pendant with a memory crystal. I love you, the last words Elisa said. Was it another lie? Was everything just fun for her?

The sound of the horn pierced the air, and the cadets turned to the wide porch. The head teacher, Don, came out of the building. Two guardians followed him. One of the guardians seemed familiar to Jackie - he had a round face and messy hair. He was as old as Don – in his mid-30-es. Then she remembered - he was the one who carried her away from the lake after the accident that happened in the winter. He noticed her and smiled. Jackie smiled back.