Chapter 28. The Letter

They walked along the sleeping buildings on the way back to the Academy. The night was warm and quiet, and the green tree barks glowed, illuminating the empty street. It was almost midnight. A crystal of memory shone on her chest. It kept a memory of last night - Elisa's whisper. I love you. Jackie still couldn't understand her - was it just another game, or did she really mean it?

"Not too bad for our first mission, huh?" Theo said, interrupting her thoughts.

She gave him a suspicious look. "Why did you lie to the chief?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "We both made the wrong decision. I knew what was happening when you started talking to the man in a basement, and I could stop you anytime. But I didn't."

"Anyway, you didn't have to protect me in front of all these people."

"I wanted to." He raised his eyes to the night sky. "It's all right; I hope it's a good lesson for both of us. And anyway, I don't care about Trevor Harland because tomorrow I'm going to Triville."

She narrowed her eyes. "Why are you so kind? I thought you would do anything for your career."

"Because you're a woman."

"So what?"

He rubbed his left wrist, thinking of something. "It's all right if I make a mistake, but you can't afford it. If you do so, people will always blame your gender and judge others after you. Especially the tough old guardians. They are scared of the new things. They will always try to find you too weak for this job."

Jackie's heart raced. She was afraid of prejudice when she had just arrived at the Academy. This is exactly what happened on her first day of studies, mainly because Theo started making silly jokes. "Since when do you care so much?"

"I think a part of me always did." He took a deep breath, smacking the fresh night air. "After all, this is what friends do. We stand for each other. I bet you returned to the burning building for the same reason."

"And I would do it again without hesitation." She looked at the dark walls of the Academy, where the dull moonlight lit up the roofs. It was hard to believe how many things could change within a year. Somehow this place became her home, and all the people she trusted were under this same roof - Howard, Elisa, Don. It was good to know that Theo was one of them - not just a groupmate or beneficial investigation partner. A real friend. "We won't see each other all summer, so I hope you stay safe."

"You too. Wherever you decide to go."

The cold wind blew into her face, and Jackie hugged her shoulders. "Only if I knew what Guardian House to choose. And what to do about Elisa."

"You know what, sometimes you women overthink about others. But it's impossible to make everyone happy. Just listen to your gut, like you did today."

"I'll try." She smiled and clapped his shoulder. "Well, thank you for everything."

"Always, sis." He chuckled.

* * * * *

After saying goodbye to Theo, she turned away and walked up the stairs. He was right - people would always be afraid of things they were not familiar with. Maybe she didn't think about it too often, but Elisa had her fears, too. Jackie stopped for a moment and put the palm on her chest. Her heart beat loudly. Of course, how didn't she see it before? All this time, Elisa cared about her and was by her side. There were rules that she would break easily, like she did last night. But she would never risk the people she loved. When it was love, everything was possible. This is what Elisa once said.