Chapter 9. Hidden Treasures

The bushes grew between the rocks, and the cadets lurked behind them, waiting for the first rays of the dusk. Theo sat on a flat stone, not taking his eyes off the cave entrance. Urchin started doing stretching exercises to prepare himself.

Elisa removed her gloves and rubbed her palms. The sparkles lit and melted between her fingers. "My Gift is useless here."

Jackie smiled sarcastically. "Then what about me? My mind-reading has nothing to do with robbery."

Elisa leaned down and took something from the ground. What a weird rock. Jackie approached to see it better and moved her palm up, evoking her Light. A blue energy twisted between her fingers and formed a glowing sphere.

The small rock in Elisa's hand was dark blue, and now it gleamed in her palm, reflecting her Light.

"A dragon's scale!" Elisa said.

Theo stood up and approached. "It belongs to the Nosimos. This species of dragons are quite big but not too dangerous. Some scientists find them cute."

"They won't be so cute if you steal from them," Jackie added.

He chuckled. "The same as Sparkle."

"Very clever." Elisa frowned.

Theo softened his voice. "Maybe it's a compliment."

"Then you give your compliments in a peculiar way."

He narrowed his eyes. "As well as you."

Jackie took the scale from Elisa and twisted it in her hand. Holding this scale made her calm somehow. "It might be a good trophy," she said.

"We have plenty of this in a lab. Jackie, can you look for the red or orange ones while you are waiting?" Theo asked. "Please?"

"I'll see what I can do." Jackie gave him a polite smile and put the scale into her pants pocket.

Urchin came to them, pointing up. "Guys, it's time."

They turned their heads to see the pink horizon. The dark-blue dragon slowly walked out of the cave, yawning.

"Told you. They are cute," Theo whispered. "And by the way, it's a female."

The dragon walked to the edge of the cliff. Her paws with violet strips slid forward, and her mouth opened, revealing sharp yellow teeth.

"Cute, of course." Elisa grumped.

The dragon shook her head and roared, causing the echo to roll through the valley. Speechless, they quickly hid back in the bushes.

Urchin's voice was quiet. "She's waking up the others. Hunting time."

Jackie's heart pounded in her chest. These creatures could eat them for breakfast.

"Jackie, your Light," Elisa said. "Split it."

Jackie lowered her eyes. The Light ball still shimmered in her hand. She nodded and placed her free hand in the middle of the Light ball. This is how she could split this energy into two parts. As they discussed before, Jackie agreed to wait outside while the guys were stealing the eggs, so they decided to use her Light as a signal.

As it was two parts of the same energy, Jackie was supposed to destroy her Light in case of danger so that the other part would disappear, too. This was how they would know about the upcoming threat if the dragon decided to come back to the cave earlier.

Jackie split the Light ball in two and gave the second half to Elisa. Then she moved her hands around it, and the energy took the shape of a sphere. Elisa did the same with her half.